‘Dreamland’ Documentary Now Airing On PBS
SACRAMENTO, Calif., Oct. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — True Californians are pioneers, innovators and icons who have contributed to the mystique and lure of California’s unique culture and lifestyle. “Dreamland,” a documentary produced by The Documentary Group, tells the story of one day in California. Filmed simultaneously from dawn until dusk on Nov. 19, 2010, it follows a remarkable ensemble of Californians who are pushing the bounds of the possible to realize their dreams. The special is now airing on PBS affiliates across the United States, inspiring viewers to pursue what makes them extraordinary on a vacation in the Golden State.
“Dreamland” provides a living, breathing snapshot of the California lifestyle that attracts visitors from around the world. For this reason, Visit California has embraced this documentary as a global promotion vehicle. As the California lifestyle allowed the featured entrepreneurs, daredevils, entertainers, scientists, politicians, chefs and technologists in the documentary to achieve success in their chosen vocations, visitors can achieve their personal aspirations too.
“Never before has California’s intangible, intrinsic and authentic sense of place been explored with such depth,” says Caroline Beteta, president and CEO of Visit California. “Through ‘Dreamland,’ viewers become a fly on the wall for one day in the life of a diverse group of Californians, inspiring travelers that California is a place where dreams can be realized.”
On Nov. 19, 2010, a dozen documentary film crews scattered across the Golden State to document the lives of true Californians. Each crew individually captured their unique stories but when combined, a powerful picture is painted on what it means to be in California. “Dreamland” showcases the true story of what drives ordinary people to achieve the exceptional, by embracing the Californian lifestyle.
True Californians featured in “Dreamland” include:
- Join rock climbers Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson thousands of feet above the ground in an attempt to do something nobody has ever done before – free climb El Capitan’s Dawn Wall in Yosemite Valley.
- In San Diego County, legendary skateboarder Bob Burnquist perfects a new trick on his personal mega ramp – an 80-foot high, 360-foot long skateboarding ramp that he built in his own backyard.
- In Los Angeles, watch the creative process unfold as singer/songwriter Liz Phair records her latest track.
- In Santa Cruz, see how the first woman to surf world-class big waves at Mavericks,
Sarah Gerhardt, balances her career as a scientist, mother of two, loving husband, her faith and her passion to surf.
- In Mendocino County’s Montgomery Woods State Natural Reserve, follow botanist
Steve Sillett to the top of a 350-foot redwood to study the effects of climate change on the centuries-old tree.
- In Palo Alto, watch Bill Clerico and Rich Aberman, founders of the rapidly growing internet company WePay, navigate the risky world of start-ups in Silicon Valley.
- In the Golden State’s capital of Sacramento, discover how NBA all-star turned politician Mayor Kevin Johnson attempts to keep his daily agenda on-course.
- In Ventura, meet Yvon Chouinard, avid environmentalist, rock climber, reluctant businessman, as well as founder of the outdoor clothing and gear company Patagonia where the company policy is “Let my people go surfing.”
- Explore international cuisine in Los Angeles’ ethnic neighborhoods with celebrity chef Susan Feniger as she runs the busy kitchens at Border Grill and STREET.
- Discover how Mexican immigrants, the Ceja Family, achieved their California dream in Napa Valley on a journey from humble grape-pickers to vineyard and winery owners.
- See how Academy Award winner Bran Ferren invents new technology at Applied Minds in Glendale for a diverse clientele that combines software, aerospace, entertainment, electronics, biotechnology and architectural design.
For more information on the documentary, go to: www.visitcalifornia.com/Dreamland
The documentary is currently airing on PBS affiliate stations across the United States. Check local listings for scheduled air times.
Visit California (formerly known as the California Travel & Tourism Commission) is a non-profit organization with a mission to develop and maintain marketing programs – in partnership with the state’s travel industry – that keep California top-of-mind as a premier travel destination. According to Visit California, travel and tourism expenditures total $102.3 billion annually in California (20 percent of which is international), support jobs for 893,000 Californians and generate $6.3 billion in state and local tax revenues. For more information about Visit California and for a free California Official State Visitor’s Guide, go to www.VisitCalifornia.com.
The Documentary Group produces work based on a very simple principle: have faith in the intelligence, taste, curiosity and integrity of the audience. TDG was founded in 2006 by the core members of PJ Productions, following the death of legendary broadcaster Peter Jennings. The producers and directors, who were for many years the team behind Jennings’ documentaries at ABC News, are dedicated to continuing the tradition of smart, important and innovative film-making. Their credits as individual producers and directors include hundreds of hours of network programming, independent feature documentaries, and original educational films. thedocumentarygroup.com
Brian Wright, Visit California
(916) 319-5421, email@example.com
Jennifer Sweeney, Visit California
(916) 233-0255, firstname.lastname@example.org
Gaye Jacobs, DCI
(310) 541-5661; email@example.com
SOURCE Visit California