Heidi Klum, Lady Gaga, Marilyn Manson, Taylor Lautner, Mila Kunis, Johnny Depp, Drew Barrymore, “The Vampire Diaries,” “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1,” “Scream” And M&M’s Among Halloween’s Winners Of “Fright Night Awards” Presented By Cancer Bites
NEW YORK, Oct. 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Fright Night Awards, presented by Cancer Bites, aims to take a HUGE bite out of cancer. In the spirit of Halloween, a powerful new initiative, Cancer Bites in conjunction with Fright Night Awards, is harnessing the nation’s adoration of vampire pop culture, along with the hottest TV shows and films, such as The Twilight Saga, HBO’s True Blood and CW’s The Vampire Diaries, to announce celebrity winners of the first-ever, fan-driven Fright Night Awards at www.cancerbites.tv. The public showed their record-breaking support in voting for their favorite frights at www.frightnightawards.com and now can view the winners and view the most comprehensive web education platform available to blood cancer patients and caregivers at www.cancerbites.tv. The nation’s leading blood cancer patient advocacy organizations have announced a series of scary facts this Halloween season to heighten awareness around blood cancer: every four minutes someone is diagnosed with a blood cancer and it is the fourth most common cancer type known in the U.S.
The Fright Night Awards is a virtual awards show that was held throughout October in which America voted for their favorite frights in film, television and more to bring greater awareness to blood cancers and help survivors and their loved ones “bite back.”
For Cancer Bites and Fright Night Awards, blood cancer survivor Mike Burg, who is also creator/co-executive producer of FOX Teen Choice Awards, the Fright Night Awards platform presents a unique opportunity to raise awareness for blood cancer programs and to generate a broad national dialogue. “Bringing a touch of entertainment and fun together during a time that celebrates Halloween is really rewarding,” Burg says. “Our ultimate goal is to rally the public to increase overall awareness of blood cancers.”
FRIGHT NIGHT WINNERS
- Favorite Scary Movie of the Year: The Woman In Black (2012)
- Most Anticipated Movie of the Halloween Season: Sinister
- Favorite Vampire Movie of the Year: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part I
- Favorite Supernatural TV Show (2012): The Vampire Diaries
- Favorite Female TV or Movie Vampire: Deborah Ann Woll – True Blood
- Favorite Male TV or Movie Vampire: Ian Somerhalder – The Vampire Diaries
- Favorite Movie or TV Werewolf: Taylor Lautner as Jacob – The Twilight Saga
- Favorite Actor in a Horror Film (2011-2012): Daniel Radcliffe – The Woman In Black (2012)
- Favorite Actress in a Horror Film: Ashley Greene – The Apparition (2012)
- Favorite Actor I would like to “Sink my Teeth Into”: Johnny Depp
- Favorite Actress I would like to “Sink my Teeth Into”: Mila Kunis
- Favorite Celebrity who Dresses for Halloween Every Day: Marilyn Manson
- Favorite Celebrity who Dresses for Halloween Every Day: Lady Gaga
- Favorite Celebrity in Costume (2011): Heidi Klum – “Visible Woman”
- Favorite Talk Show Host Halloween Costume: Carrie Keagan as Jem from Jem & The Holograms (VH1 Big Morning Buzz Live)
- Best Scream in a Horror Movie Scene: Scream (Drew Barrymore)
- Most Frightening Horror Movie Villain of All Time: Michael Meyers (Halloween Series)
- Favorite Series of Horror Movies of All Time: Scream
- Favorite Male Halloween Costume for 2012: Christian Grey
- Favorite Female Halloween Costume for 2012: Anastasia Steele
- Favorite Halloween Candy of All Time: M&M’s
Harnessing the Halloween season and the public’s obsession around the mystique of vampires and the supernatural, Cancer Bites has assembled a powerful team to educate the public about the prevalence of blood cancers. Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS), Lymphoma Research Foundation (LRF) and the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF) have been enlisted to help fuel the campaign’s mission. As the nation’s leading blood cancer patient advocacy organizations, LLS, LRF and MMRF will play an integral role in the campaign at every level: funding research to find effective new treatments and cures; connecting patients and their families to free educational information; and providing support services for patients at every stage of their cancer journey. The awareness campaign will encourage the public to support their efforts to beat cancer.
“Our goal with Cancer Bites is to provide those living with a blood cancer, caregivers and their loved ones access to critical information and support tools they need to navigate a very difficult journey,” says Dr. Julie Vose, chair of the Cancer Bites expert panel and chief of Hematology/Oncology at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. “There are more than 70 types of blood cancer; it is among the most common cancers in our country. It is time to raise the level of public awareness and rally support.”
Cancer Bites will roll out a series of programs and events in the coming year, all designed to create a broad national dialogue on the importance of funding life-saving research.
Blood cancers are diseases of the blood, bone marrow, and/or lymphatic systems, including leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Hodgkin lymphoma and myeloma. Newly diagnosed patients, survivors, caregivers and loved ones are encouraged to visit www.cancerbites.tv to access information about the various types of blood cancer, inspirational stories of survivors and caregivers, advice on how to offer support to someone battling blood cancer, tips on navigating the treatment journey and much more. The online Cancer Bites community is intended to educate, inspire and empower all those that visit.
ABOUT EDGE HEALTH
Edge Health (www.edgehealth.com), a health care marketing company, and the creator of educational initiatives including On The Line (www.ontheline.com) – a prostate cancer awareness campaign and (www.kaleidoscope.org) – an initiative celebrating cancer survivorship, is dedicated to communicating key information that is understandable and useful to the everyday consumer. Through these national programs and its newest campaign Cancer Bites, Edge Health hopes to inform, inspire and entertain. Together with its partners, Edge Health endeavors to make the toughest of journeys that much easier, one step at a time.
CANCER BITES PARTNERS
The breadth and scope of the Cancer Bites campaign is made possible in part by the contributions of campaign sponsors committed to the well-being of patients with blood cancer and their loved ones. With longstanding histories of discovering and developing treatments for those living with blood cancer, Pfizer Oncology, Sigma Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Ariad Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Allos Therapeutics, Inc., Abbott and Gilead are all committed to empowering patients throughout their journey.
Contact: Maureen O'Connor Karen Sundell 310/854-8116 310/854-8167 email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Cancer Bites