Jennie-O Turkey Store Partners With iGrill® App to Help Home Cooks Prepare Delicious and Safe Meals
WILLMAR, Minn., Nov. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Jennie-O, a recognized leader in turkey, has teamed up with the first app-enabled wireless meat thermometer, iGrill, to help home cooks and grill masters prepare tender, delicious turkey – such as JENNIE-O(®) turkey burgers – while ensuring food safety from anywhere in the home, from the convenience of their iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or Android.
Cooking turkey burgers to the right temperature not only ensures a safe meal, but it also achieves the most delicious taste and the perfect, never-dry tenderness families love. The app takes the guesswork out, providing a true sense of assurance and peace of mind that wholesome turkey burgers will always come out tender, delicious and fully cooked to a safe 165°F.
A meat thermometer is a necessity for home cooks and professional chefs alike, but the iGrill wireless thermometer takes this concept a step further by enabling the cook to monitor food temperature without being glued to the grill, stove or oven. The iGrill works with a free app that features multiple preset temperatures and allows the user to monitor multiple probes that are inserted into meat to measure temperature while cooking. Thanks to wireless technology, the probes relay temperature information to the user’s Apple or Android device and send an alert when the meat is fully cooked and ready to enjoy. iGrill’s wireless capabilities enable home cooks and professionals to monitor food from up to 200 feet away, so they can get out of the kitchen or away from the grill, and spend time with guests or on other important things.
By freeing cooks from worry about preparing food to the right temperature, the iGrill also frees them to experiment with exciting new turkey burger recipes, tastes and flavor combinations. To help inspire cooks, the app includes 25 recipes for delicious JENNIE-O(®) turkey meals, such as the Jack and Guac Turkey Bacon Burger, Cranberry Horseradish Turkey Burger and Moroccan Style Turkey Burger.
“At Jennie-O we take food safety as seriously as we take great taste. Our new partnership with iGrill is another way to provide turkey burger lovers with the information they need to prepare safe and delicious meals, and gain the confidence to prepare creative, gourmet recipes they may never have otherwise thought possible,” said Jen Ehresmann, Director of Marketing, Jennie-O.
Lianne Kersey, Marketing Manager, iGrill, says, “iGrill customers are cooking and grilling fanatics who take pride in the food they prepare, which is why we were excited to partner with Jennie-O, a company that takes food quality and safety as seriously as the iGrill community.”
The iGrill app is free and can be downloaded at the iTunes Store or the Google Play Store. The wireless meat thermometer is available for purchase at iGrillinc.com.
Food safety tips for delicious turkey meals
Jennie-O offers five easy rules for cooking a safe and delectable recipe featuring turkey: clean, separate, cook, chill, and don’t forget–enjoy!
- Safety begins with a clean cooking space. Be sure to use warm, soapy water to wash anything raw poultry touches, including cutting boards, plates or serving platters, countertops and other surfaces, food thermometers, grilling utensils and–most importantly–your hands.
- It is not necessary to rinse poultry before cooking. In fact, rinsing poultry can spread bacteria rather than kill it. The best way to ensure a safe, delicious meal is to fully cook poultry to 165°F.
- Always fully cook poultry to destroy any bacteria that could cause foodborne illness.
- Temperature is everything. Using a meat thermometer is the most accurate way to determine when meat is ready to enjoy. Cook poultry to at least 165°F, as measured by a meat thermometer, such as the iGrill, to ensure a safe and delicious dining experience.
- Never eat under-cooked poultry. If you’re not sure how long to cook a product, simply read the packaging and cook as specified.
- Separating raw poultry from other foods is an easy way to avoid cross contamination and ensure food safety.
- Use separate cutting boards for poultry, meat, seafood and vegetables to avoid the spread of bacteria that may cause foodborne illness.
- Store raw poultry in sealed containers to make sure juices don’t contaminate other foods.
- When cooking turkey, never reuse a raw marinade on cooked poultry. Instead, create a fresh marinade for each new batch.
- Storing raw poultry at the correct temperature is essential to keeping food safe. When storing raw poultry, set your refrigerator to 40°F or lower.
- Never thaw poultry at room temperature or on the counter. Thaw raw poultry and other meats in the refrigerator in sealed containers.
- Limit thawed or fresh meat to no more than two to three days in the refrigerator before cooking.
- Refrigerate leftovers within two hours of cooking. Don’t let leftovers linger in the fridge. To stay on the safe side, eat them within one to two days.
- Following these simple food safety rules makes it easy to achieve the best possible taste for a delicious meal the entire family will enjoy.
For more information on cooking with turkey burgers, visit Jennieo.com or look for the iGrill sticker on JENNIE-O(®) lean ground turkey products at grocery stores nationwide. Use promo code JENNIEO for $10 off your iGrill purchase.
About iGrill, LLC
iGrill, LLC, based in Avon, Connecticut is a creation from iDevices, LLC, an app-enablement and consulting company. iGrill was developed in 2010 as one of the first ever app-enabled devices. The iGrill is available for purchase at iGrillinc.com and the free app can be downloaded from the iTunes App Store.
About Jennie-O Turkey Store, Inc.
Jennie-O Turkey Store, Inc., based in Willmar, Minn., is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hormel Foods Corporation (NYSE:HRL) and one of the largest turkey processors and marketers in the world. It offers an array of more than 1,500 high quality fresh, frozen, refrigerated and deli turkey products that are distributed throughout the United States and 27 countries worldwide. Jennieo.com
Jennie-O Turkey Store, Inc. is not responsible for the operation of the iGrill device or its compliance with safety and regulatory standards.
Jennie-O Turkey Store
Carmichael Lynch Spong
SOURCE Jennie-O Turkey Store