Chicago Match Cup and Tall Ships® Chicago 2013: A Navy Pier Maritime Celebration & $100,000 Competition, August 7 – 11, 2013
CHICAGO, Jan. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — This August, sailing takes over Navy Pier as modern match racing meets maritime history. The Chicago Match Cup, a $100,000 sailing competition and the only U.S. stop on the Alpari World Match Racing Tour, will set sail alongside one of Chicago’s most popular attractions, the majestic Tall Ships® Chicago 2013 Festival, Aug. 7 – 11, 2013.
Twelve of the world’s best teams will sail against each other in match race sailing, a form of head-to-head combat similar to the America’s Cup, just feet from the edge of Navy Pier. They will compete for their share of the $100,000 prize money purse and points earned toward the Tour’s overall World Championship, worth $1.75 million in prize money – the richest in the sailing world.
Navy Pier’s east end will be transformed to showcase the best of the Chicago Match Cup and the Tall Ships, promising front-row seats, hospitality areas and live commentary to best enjoy the thrills on the water. Within the Festival area, special family-friendly activities, Tall Ships on-board tours and sail-aways, and a fireworks display each evening.
“There will be something for everyone to enjoy during these two premier yachting events, from experiencing America’s Cup-style sailing action, to getting on board these classic yachts, and many shore-side activities for the whole family to enjoy,” said Tod Reynolds, director of Chicago Match Race Center, producer of the Chicago Match Cup.
“We’re excited to bring two maritime events to Chicago’s iconic landmark,” said Marilynn Gardner, president and CEO of Navy Pier Inc. “Tall Ships Chicago and the Chicago Match Cup will give our visitors from around the world the opportunity experience and board historic ships and also see the world’s top sailors at one great place – Navy Pier.”
Chicago Match Cup and Tall Ships Festival highlights include:
- Tuesday, Aug. 6: As the Chicago Match Cup teams practice in the morning, fans are invited for a free preview day and for the afternoon event: The inaugural Chicago Sports Commission Charity Sports Challenge, in which Chicago’s own sports stars will test their sailing skills (with a little help from the pro sailors), for charity.
- Wednesday – Sunday (Aug. 7 – 11): More than 100 action-packed races between the 12 teams to determine the road to the Finals on Sunday afternoon. Special viewing areas to ensure front-row seats, live commentary; Jumbotron viewing; meet-and-greets with the professional sailors; family-friendly games, food and beverage stands, and more.
- Sunday, Aug. 11, 2 p.m.: Chicago Match Cup Finals and Award Ceremony. Live broadcast to more than 140 countries.
- Wednesday, Aug. 7, 2 – 4 p.m.: Tall Ships arrive with the crowd-favorite Parade of Ships.
- Every day: Tall Ship on-board tours, Sail-Aways (additional cost); evening fireworks and more!
TICKET INFORMATION: General admission tickets are $5; with additional opportunities to purchase Tall Ships cruises and on-boards, as well as Chicago Match Cup VIP viewing areas.
About Chicago Match Race Center: The Chicago Match Race Center (CMRC) was founded to promote and grow the sport of match race sailing in the United States. CMRC provides a full-service facility, complete with TOM 28 and Elliott 6M class sailboats, umpire and support boats, as well as support staff for professional and amateur sailors to race and train. CMRC hosts several events ranging from regional championships to the Chicago Match Cup, the only U.S. stop on the Alpari World Match Racing Tour. For more information, photos, videos and results from events held at CMRC, please visit www.ChicagoMatchRace.com.
Tall Ships® Chicago 2013 at Navy Pier: The breathtaking sight of numerous Tall Ships sailing on Chicago’s Lake Michigan is a not-to-be-missed event. This armada is a festive and educational celebration and exploration of Chicago’s rich maritime heritage! There is so much excitement and maritime entertainment on the lake and land at Navy Pier…you don’t want to miss it! For more information regarding Tall Ships 2013 and other Navy Pier events, please visit www.navypier.com.
SOURCE Chicago Match Race Center