14 Hands Winery Returns as Proud Sponsor of the Kentucky Derby®
Leading Washington State Wine Partners with “Hostess with the Mostess®” Blogger Jenn Sbranti to Share How You Can Bring Home the Allure of this Iconic Sporting Event
PROSSER, Wash., April 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — 14 Hands Winery, producer of the top-selling wines from Washington state, has been named a proud sponsor of the Kentucky Derby, the legendary Thoroughbred race representing the first leg of the coveted ‘Triple Crown.’ This is the second year that 14 Hands has sponsored the event, where equestrian enthusiasts will sip and savor its leading wines during the race and at the Taste of Derby(TM), an annual culinary soiree showcasing regional cuisine while benefitting hunger relief.
For those enjoying the Kentucky Derby from their living rooms, 14 Hands has partnered with “Hostess with the Mostess,” blogger and lifestyle expert, Jenn Sbranti, to share tips and tricks on how to throw a great Kentucky Derby party at home.
“We are excited for our continued partnership with the Kentucky Derby and Taste of Derby, as it gives us an opportunity to showcase 14 Hands’ universal appeal,” said winemaker Keith Kenison. “Whether it’s paired with casual fare or an epicurean meal, 14 Hands’ bold, fruit-forward reds, and crisp, juicy whites can be enjoyed at just about any occasion.”
According to Sbranti, there are fun and festive ways to bring the exclusivity of the Kentucky Derby home to help emerge your guests into the charm and glamour of the iconic Southern soiree:
1. Create Winner’s Cup Worthy Decor – Decorate with vibrant colors inspired by racing silks and the unbridled spirit of the horses by filling trophy “vases” with colorful flowers and pennant flags.
2. Give your Drink Station a Big Dose of Southern Charm - For a light and refreshing twist on the traditional Mint Julep, muddle mint in the bottom of glass or pitcher, fill the container halfway with ice, and then add one part 14 Hands Pinot Gris or Hot to Trot White Blend and one part ginger ale. Garnish with a mint sprig and enjoy.
3. Go, go, go…. for the small bites! – Serve savory dishes in small portions that allow guests to graze throughout the party, such as bite-size Crispy Citrus Shrimp paired with a juicy and flavorful glass of 14 Hands Pinot Gris or Spicy Pulled Pork complemented by 14 Hands Cabernet Sauvignon.
4. Keep the Party Pace Going Before and After the Big Race - Ask guests to come to the party dressed in their “Derby Best” and set up a home photo booth with extra props to capture all of the fun looks on camera.
5. Serve up a sweet finish with mini desserts inspired by popular tastes of the Derby – Garnish Mint Julep Cupcakes with a mint leaf and a straw, and top small pies and tarts with “racing flag” food picks. Display your treats on colorful trays lined with racing silk inspired patterns.
“As a lifelong fan of the Kentucky Derby, I am thrilled to be working with a brand as dedicated to the sport as 14 Hands Winery,” said Sbranti. “Even if you can’t make it to Churchill Downs this year, we want to show people how to incorporate great-tasting wines that are a perfect complement to a Kentucky Derby-themed party or any social gathering.”
As a wine sponsor for the Kentucky Derby, 14 Hands will be the featured wine at the Churchill Downs concessions and suites during Kentucky Derby Week. The Kentucky Derby will take place on Saturday, May 3.
A roster of award-winning chefs and horse racing celebrities from some of the country’s top culinary and Thoroughbred racing destinations will come together at the fifth annual Taste of Derby celebration on Thursday, May 1. 14 Hands wines will be paired with the best in regional cuisine, prepared by acclaimed chefs representing some of the finest restaurants in the country.
Inspired by the unbridled spirit of the wild horses that once roamed Washington State, 14 Hands caters to wine lovers who savor a sense of history and adventure. The portfolio features varietals including Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Moscato and Riesling.
Earlier this year, 14 Hands opened a dedicated winery and tasting room in Prosser, Washington. Designed to highlight the unique history of Washington wines, the facility features indoor and outdoor seating areas, a tasting bar and a unique working barrel room. Reclaimed barn wood sourced from structures throughout the region, displayed with the stories of the families who built them, is exhibited throughout the interior to reflect the winery’s location at the base of the Horse Heaven Hills appellation. The winery also features an expanded collection of 14 Hands “The Reserve” wines, as well as seasonal offerings throughout the year.
About 14 Hands Winery
14 Hands wines are inspired by the spirit of the wild horses that once roamed the arid landscape of eastern Washington. It was here that these special horses – measuring a scant “14 hands” tall – developed their legendary endurance, strength, and tenacious spirit. Like these wild horses, the vineyards struggle in the same harsh conditions of eastern Washington. It is their ability to thrive in this environment that produces the world-class quality fruit that goes into each bottle of 14 Hands. Learn more at 14hands.com.
About Churchill Downs
Churchill Downs, the world’s most legendary racetrack, has conducted Thoroughbred racing and presented America’s greatest race, the Kentucky Derby, continuously since 1875. Located in Louisville, the flagship racetrack of Churchill Downs Incorporated (NASDAQ: CHDN) also operates Trackside at Churchill Downs, which offers year-round simulcast wagering at the historic track. Churchill Downs will conduct the 140th running of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands on May 3, 2014. The track’s Fall Meet will run from Oct. 27-Nov. 30. The track has hosted the Breeders’ Cup World Championships a record eight times. Information about Churchill Downs can be found on the Internet at www.ChurchillDowns.com.
Renae Kochel, 14 Hands Winery
425-415-3336 | Renae.Kochel@smwe.com
Diana Valdez, GolinHarris
213-438-8759 | firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE 14 Hands Winery