July 28, 2008
Carol’s Quitting Could Kill Off Show
BOOKIES believe Carol Vorderman's exit from Countdown could spell the end of the long-running show.
Vorderman, who quit in a row over cash, has been with the show since it launched on Channel 4 in November 1982.
It was the very first programme seen on the new channel.
Without her, bookmakers Paddy Power are offering 6-1 that Countdown will close down.
Spokesman Darren Haines said bosses were struggling to come up with names to replace her.
He added: "With a presenter you can just take one from the top, but with the maths whiz, it's going to be a much tougher calculation."
Number cruncher Vorderman co-hosted with Richard Whiteley until his death in 2005.
She then appeared alongside Des Lynam, then Des O'Connor, who announced he was quitting the show last week.
Vorderman announced her departure days later - and at the weekend, it was claimed she had been asked to take a pounds 900,000 pay cut by Countdown bosses.
She said she was "devastated" that her time on the show had ended in such a fashion.
Last night, despite doubts about the future of the programme, Channel 4 insisted another series would be made.
Impressionist Rory Bremner, former child star Aled Jones, ex- Tory MP Gyles Brandreth, former newsreader Angela Rippon and veteran presenter Michael Aspel were said to be in the running to replace Des.
(c) 2008 Daily Record; Glasgow (UK). Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.