Zoo Event Brews Fun, Funds
* What: Brew at the Zoo, held Sept. 5 at the Denver Zoo.
* Benefited: Around 3,000 people raised $85,000 at the sold-out event for the Red Apple Fund for Lifelong Learning, a scholarship fund that ensures access to zoo education programs for children and families, no matter what their economic status.
* Libations and eats: More than 40 restaurants and breweries served food and beer for the crowd. More than 70 brews were on tap.
* That’s entertainment: Angie Stevens and the Beautiful Wreck performed; A Band Named Sue, a Johnny Cash cover band, opened.
* Animal attractions: Those arriving early to the event had a chance to get a glimpse of handlers showing off hedgehogs, snakes and birds of prey. Visitors could get close to everything from the smallest owl, the diminutive burrowing owl, to the largest, the impressive Eurasian eagle owl.
Originally published by Rocky Mountain News.
(c) 2008 Rocky Mountain News. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.