October 1, 2008
Gimme Five: Five Cool Things to Do From Oct. 2-8
1. San Francisco International Dragon Boat Festival -- Head out to Treasure Island for the largest competitive dragon boat festival in the country. Watch the races, then enjoy cultural activities, live entertainment, dancing, the Dragon Land children's activity tent, arts and crafts and more. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Treasure Island, S.F, free, www.sfdragonboat.com.
2. Ninth annual Oktoberfest by the Bay -- Capture the spirit of Munich with German cuisine, beer and music, along with live entertainment, dancing, exhibits and more. Today through Sunday, Fort Mason Center, S.F., $5-$35, 888-746-7522, www.oktoberfestbythebay.com.
3. An Evening with the Smothers Brothers -- The legendary comedy team comes to the Valley as part of the Livermore Valley Performing Arts Center's Fall Gala, featuring complimentary wine, desserts and a reception following the performance. 8 p.m. Friday, Bankhead Theater, 2400 First St., Livermore, $95-$125, 925-373-6800, www.livermoreperformingarts.org.
4. Will Durst's Pre-Election Comedy Blowout (pictured) -- Join Will Durst, Johnny Steele, Larry "Bubbles" Brown, Nato Green and Deb & Mike for a night of political comedy. 7 p.m. Sunday, Creative Arts Building, 250 School St., Pittsburg, $15-$20, 925-432-4992.
5. Hop & Vine Fall Fest -- Enjoy beverages derived from hops and picked from the vine, along with live entertainment, arts and crafts, dancing, food and more. 1-5 p.m. Sunday, 830 Main St., Pleasanton, free, www.pleasantondowntown.net.
-- Alyssa Phillips
(c) 2008 Oakland Tribune. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.