December 19, 2008

Man breaks arm during Copperfield illusion

An assistant broke his arm in a freak accident on stage during illusionist David Copperfield's Las Vegas show this week, the show's producer said.

The unidentified employee was hospitalized Wednesday after he caught his arm in a fan during one of the stunts Copperfield performs as part of his show An Intimate Evening of Grand Illusion at MGM Grand's Hollywood Theatre, People magazine said.

This is a trick David has done over 3,000 times, executive producer Chris Kenner told the magazine. This was a freak accident. ... (The injured assistant) is recovering. People are always saying that it's magic and it isn't dangerous. This goes to show you that it is.

Kenner said he didn't think people in the audience clearly saw what happened, however, he said the show was cut short as a result of the man's injury.

Copperfield has no plans to eliminate the fan illusion from future shows, Kenner added.