March 14, 2009
New Line headed back to ‘Center of Earth’
The U.S. movie studio New Line Cinema will do a sequel of its 2008 3-D hit
Journey to the Center of the Earth, an industry source says.
The Hollywood Reporter said Thursday the new
Journey film will be fully financed by New Line. Last year's movie, which grossed $240 million worldwide and enjoyed robust DVD sales and rentals, was partially financed by Walden Media.
The movie was based upon author Jules Verne's 19th-century novel of the same name, while the sequel will reportedly borrow from Verne's
Mysterious Island, along with fellow literary classics
Gulliver's Travels and
The Reporter said
Journey director Eric Brevig is also set to direct the sequel, titled
Mysterious Travels. No word on possible stars for the new 3-D film.