Microsoft Advertising Reels in ‘Deadliest Catch’ – Partnering With Discovery Channel for Cross-Network Ad Buy
Discovery and Microsoft Advertising partner to launch three-screen campaign spanning mobile, Internet and gaming to capture fan base.
Because of Microsoft Advertising’s comprehensive publisher portfolio and breadth of cross-network media properties, Discovery chose to devote the show’s entire online advertising budget to this campaign. The main advertising push will be happening across Microsoft’s Media Network on
“The doors to our one-stop shop are open,” said
“Microsoft Advertising got it right on the first try,” said
Drawing upon its technical expertise, Microsoft Advertising simultaneously weaves together Discovery’s “Deadliest Catch” campaign and divides it into seven distinct audience engagement scenarios:
MSN Home Page. On the day of the premiere,
April 14, Discovery will reach MSN’s expansive audience base of more than 550 million unique users worldwide by executing a home page takeover using rich, interactive over-the-page ads. This custom execution is being developed by Microsoft’s Premier Media Group and will accomplish several firsts on the MSN home page, such as setting DVR reminders for fans, updating their calendar, and sending text alerts and e-mails.
- MSN Video and MSNBC Video. Throughout the life of the campaign, the “Deadliest Catch” will take advantage of MSN Video’s Entertainment and Sports channels, which own nearly 40 percent of MSN’s video audience. Discovery will run another custom execution called a Transitional Skin on the MSNBC video player, the first time an entertainment advertiser has taken advantage of this unique opportunity.
MSN Mobile. On
April 14, Discovery will execute an MSN Mobile home page takeover in conjunction with the MSN home page takeover. In addition, Microsoft subsidiary ScreenTonic (http://www.screentonic.com) created a mobile Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) site that utilizes the Microsoft Advertising mobile platform. Viewers will be able to interact with the WAP site and enter their cell phone numbers to receive tune-in reminders for the show via text message. Standard messaging and carrier charges apply.
- Xbox LIVE. The “Deadliest Catch” campaign will be running a number of click-to-video executions across the Xbox LIVE platform with a call-to-action Deadliest Catch Text to Win Sweepstakes. The sweepstakes provides viewers with a specific mobile SMS code to text for a chance to win Microsoft Points that can be used to buy games, movies and television shows through the on-demand service. Discovery plans to give away 2 million Microsoft Points to an expected 5,000 winners during a four-day period. In conjunction with this campaign, Discovery will run long-form video teasers to excite the Xbox audience about tuning in to the season premiere. Full details including free, alternate methods of entry and official rules are available at http://www.3csms.mobi/deadliestcatch/catchpoints.
- Massive. Using the Massive in-game advertising platform, Discovery is placing targeted ads throughout the experience to capture users at peak gaming time, with a focus on games played by audiences who embrace an edgy, fast-paced lifestyle: Ubisoft’s “Shaun White Snowboarding” and “Rainbow Six Vegas 2,” and Electronic Arts’ “Skate 2,” Madden 09, “Mercenaries 2,” “Need for Speed Undercover” and “NHL 09.” These ad units will also include the SMS codes for the Deadliest Catch Text to Win Sweepstakes.
- Windows Live Hotmail. Windows Live Hotmail will feature demographically targeted ads to coincide with the Fox Sports and MSNBC ad placements.
- Live Search. To round out its ad buy, Discovery is taking advantage of Microsoft Advertising’s adCenter platform and purchasing search keywords to help drive awareness to the newest season of “Deadliest Catch.”
Microsoft will also participate in the first-ever CatchCon event – a “Deadliest Catch” one-day fan festival being held at the Bell Harbor Conference Center in
About Discovery Channel
DISCOVERY CHANNEL (DSC) is dedicated to creating the highest quality nonfiction content that informs and entertains its consumers about the world in all its wonder, diversity and amazement. The network, which reaches 98.1 million viewers in
About Microsoft Advertising
Microsoft Advertising provides advertisers and publishers with media, tools and services to drive deep and profitable engagement with their audiences. This includes a media network that reaches hundreds of millions of consumers around the world; global technology platforms and tools that enable easy planning and management of campaigns and content; and services that help untangle the complexities of digital media to get more value from marketing and content investments. Microsoft Advertising makes buying and selling media simple, smart and cost-effective across media and devices in the Microsoft network of properties and beyond. Visit http://advertising.microsoft.com for more information.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
SOURCE Microsoft Corp.