Quantcast

Movie star Malibu calls ‘Cut’ on film shoots

July 12, 2005

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Malibu’s picturesque coast may be
home to many movie stars but residents are calling “Cut!” to
the number of films and videos shot there.

Malibu City Council on Monday night gave initial approval
to regulations that would ban late night and early morning
filming and limit production companies to 16 days at one
location.

The move followed complaints by Malibu, California,
residents about noise and disruption in the oceanside city,
which officials say is used as a location in about 700 film, TV
and music video shoots a year.

Malibu councilman Jeffrey Jennings said members tried “to
come up with a balance between the interests of the community
and the interests of the industry.”

Residents are also unhappy about the use of helicopters,
bullhorns, the parking of production trucks near private
driveways and the practice of covering up traffic signs to mask
locations.

Malibu’s golden beaches and mountains have provided the
backdrop for scores of movies and television shows over the
years including “Baywatch,” “Planet of the Apes” and “The
Rockford Files.”

Its numerous lavish beach houses have also been rented out
as locations for reality shows such as “The Bachelor” and “The
Osbournes.”

Film production companies have objected to the proposals,
which will go to a final vote in two weeks.

The Motion Picture Association of America noted in a letter
last month that Malibu residents working in movies, TV and
commercials earned $99.2 million in 2002, the most recent year
surveyed.

“The paradox is that many Malibuites made their fortunes in
film,” Don Mann, who has worked in the industry for 20 years,
told the Los Angeles Times. “Now they’re saying ‘I made my
money. You guys go do your shooting elsewhere.”‘




comments powered by Disqus