Lionsgate Shines With 22 Emmy(R) Award Nominations for Its Acclaimed Series MAD MEN and WEEDS
SANTA MONICA, Calif., and VANCOUVER, British Columbia, July 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ — LIONSGATE’s (R) (NYSE: LGF) acclaimed AMC drama MAD MEN and hit Showtime comedy WEEDS earned a total of 22 Emmy(R) nominations today, including nods for both shows in the Outstanding Series categories.
MAD MEN, winner of last year’s Emmy(R) for Outstanding Drama Series, topped the category once again with 16 nominations, including nods for Outstanding Drama Series, Lead Actor (Jon Hamm), Lead Actress (Elisabeth Moss), Supporting Actor (John Slattery), Writing, Directing and Cinematography.
The Company’s hit comedy WEEDS scored six nominations, led by the series’ first Emmy(R) nod for Outstanding Comedy Series, Mary-Louise Parker’s third nomination for Outstanding Lead Actress and Elizabeth Perkins’ third nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress.
“This is a very exciting day for us at Lionsgate,” said Kevin Beggs, president of television programming and production. “We thank the members of the TV Academy for recognizing the outstanding work of all our nominees and salute our terrific network partners who have been so supremely supportive of both shows.”
MAD MEN received the following nominations:
- Outstanding Drama Series
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series – Jon Hamm
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series – Elisabeth Moss
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series – John Slattery
- Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series – “The Jet Set” – Phil Abraham
- Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series – “A Night to Remember” – Robin Veith, Matthew Weiner
- Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series – “Six Month Leave” – Andre Jacquemetton, Maria Jacquemetton, Matthew Weiner
- Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series – “The Jet Set” – Matthew Weiner
- Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series – “Meditations in an Emergency” – Kater Gordon, Matthew Weiner
- Outstanding Art Direction for a Single-Camera Series – “The Jet Set” – Dan Bishop, Production Designer; Christopher L. Brown, Art Director; Amy Wells, Set Decorator
- Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series – Laura Schiff, Casting By; Carrie Audino, Casting By
- Outstanding Cinematography for a One-Hour Series — “The New Girl” – Christopher Manley, Director of Photography
- Outstanding Costumes for a Series – “Meditations in an Emergency” – Janie Bryant, Costume Designer; Le Dawson, Costume Supervisor
- Outstanding Hairstyling for a Single-Camera Series – “The Gold Violin” – Gloria Ponce, Department Head Hairstylist; Katherine Rees, Key Hairstylist; Marilyn Phillips, Additional Hairstylist; Michelle Payne, Additional Hairstylist
- Outstanding Makeup for a Single-Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic) – “The Jet Set” — Debbie Zoller, Department Head Makeup Artist; Denise DellaValle, Key Makeup Artist; Ron Pipes, Additional Makeup Artist; Debra Schrey, Additional Makeup Artist
- Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Drama Series – “Maidenform” – Cindy Mollo, Edited By
WEEDS received the following nominations:
- Outstanding Comedy Series
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series – Mary-Louise Parker
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series – Elizabeth Perkins
- Outstanding Cinematography for a Half-Hour Series – Michael Trim, Director of Photography
- Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series – Dava Waite Peaslee, C.S.A., Casting By
- Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (Half-Hour) and Animation – “Three Coolers” – Jon Ailetcher, C.A.S., Sound Mixer; Fred Tator, C.A.S., Re-Recording Mixer; Chris Philp, C.A.S., Re-Recording Mixer
Set to launch its third season on AMC August 16, MAD MEN has enjoyed enormous critical acclaim since its premiere and has garnered a long list of honors, including an Emmy(R) Award for Outstanding Drama Series, two Golden Globe Awards for Best Television Series – Drama, AFI Awards as One of the Top 10 Outstanding Television Programs of 2007 and 2008, a Peabody Award and two Writers Guild Awards, among many others. The series has also been embraced internationally, winning the 2008 BAFTA Award, the Royal Television Society Award for International Program and most recently, the Monte Carlo TV Festival’s Golden Nymph Award. Created and executive produced by Matthew Weiner in association with Weiner Bros., MAD MEN is set in New York in the 1960′s and follows the lives of the ruthlessly competitive men and women of Madison Avenue advertising when the industry was at its height of glamour, power and prestige. The series stars Jon Hamm, January Jones, Vincent Kartheiser, Elisabeth Moss, Christina Hendricks, John Slattery, Bryan Batt, Michael Gladis, Aaron Staton, Rich Sommer and Robert Morse.
With its daring portrayal of the complicated life of a suburban pot-dealing mom, WEEDS has become an international success. Now in its fifth season on Showtime, the critically acclaimed series has earned three Golden Globe nominations for Best Comedy Series, two SAG nominations for Best Comedy Ensemble and a Writers Guild Award for Executive Producer Jenji Kohan. Mary-Louise Parker has been honored with four Golden Globe nominations including a 2006 win, two Emmy nominations and four SAG nominations, among other awards for her work in WEEDS. Produced by Lionsgate in association with Tilted Productions, the series was created and is executive produced by Jenji Kohan and also stars Elizabeth Perkins, Kevin Nealon, Justin Kirk, Hunter Parrish, Alexander Gould, Allie Grant and Andy Milder.
Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF) is the leading next generation studio with a strong and diversified presence in the production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home entertainment, family entertainment, video-on-demand and digitally delivered content. The Company has built a strong television presence in production of prime time cable and broadcast network series, distribution and syndication of programming through Debmar-Mercury, reality programming through its joint venture with ISH Entertainment and an array of channel platform assets. Its feature film business achieved a record box office performance in the recent January-March 2009 quarter, driven by the success of “Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes To Jail,” “My Bloody Valentine 3-D” and “The Haunting In Connecticut.” The Company’s home entertainment business has grown to more than 7% market share and leads the industry in its box office-to-DVD revenue conversion rate. Lionsgate handles a prestigious and prolific library of approximately 12,000 motion picture and television titles that is an important source of recurring revenue and serves as the foundation for the growth of the Company’s core businesses. The Lionsgate brand remains synonymous with original, daring, quality entertainment in markets around the world.
For further information, please contact: MEDIA CONTACT: Leah Krantzler The Lippin Group for LIONSGATE 323-965-1990 firstname.lastname@example.org Sarah Greenberg LIONSGATE 310-255-3856 email@example.com For corporate inquiries, please contact: Peter D. Wilkes LIONSGATE 310-255-3726 firstname.lastname@example.org