Lineup Announced for Phillies Goya Latino Family Celebration & Food Drive on September 2
PHILADELPHIA, Aug. 28 /PRNewswire/ — Goya Foods, the largest Hispanic-owned food company in the United States, will once again join the Phillies in hosting the Goya Latino Family Celebration & Food Drive on Wednesday, September 2, at Citizens Bank Park. The event pays tribute to Hispanic Heritage Month and takes place before and during the 7:05 p.m. Phillies-Braves game. This is the 8th year the Phillies will host the celebration.
- General Manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. and Goya Foods President Robert Unanue will present the Phillies Goya Family Service Award to Johnny, Milagros Alameda, Jomil and Edurne Irizarry for their tireless contributions to the Latino community. Johnny serves on the City’s Philadelphia School Reform Commission and is Director for the Center for Hispanic Excellence: La Casa Latina at the University of Pennsylvania; also served as Executive Director/CEO of The Lighthouse, a 115-year-old multi-service community center in North Philadelphia. . . Milagros is a court interpreter for the City of Philadelphia, writer and educator. . . their son Jomil is an artist who has painted murals for the Mural Arts Program, Taller Puertorriqueno and The Lighthouse. . . and daughter Edurne works for Youth United For Change and is active on educational issues and youth leadership development.
- A food collection to benefit Philabundance. Fans are asked to donate Goya food products to help needy families in the Latino community. Goya Foods has once again pledged to donate a minimum of 5,000 pounds of food to match the collected food products. To date, more than 15,000 pounds of food have been collected at past Goya Latino Family Celebrations.
- Musical performances by the Los Brothers Band, who recently finished a national tour. . .recording artist Jose Gomilas, who will sing the National Anthem. . .and local artists Jimmy Jorge & the Latin Express and the Foto Rodriguez y Su Orquestra.
- Dancing by the award-winning Goya’s K Company Dancers and the Fuego Dance Company, which won “Entertainer of the Year” at the 2008 Hispanic Choice Awards.
- Other local performers include S.T.E.P. & Caliente Dancers, the Ritmo & Sabor Dance Company, Aguanile Dance Company, and La Familia Rojas Folkloric Company.
- Tribute of 21 flags of Latino countries.
- Food with Latin flavor will be available at concession stands, including Goya food products.
SOURCE Philadelphia Phillies