Video: CNN Launches Interactive News App on App Store
ATLANTA, Sept. 29 /PRNewswire/ — CNN, the No. 1 mobile news provider according to Nielsen, today announced the availability of its CNN App on the App Store. The CNN iPhone App is purpose-built and designed to provide a visually-driven news experience for iPhone and iPod touch users who demand accessibility and convenience.
To view the Multimedia News Release, go to: http://www2.prnewswire.com/mnr/cnn/40303/
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20090929/NY83269 )
“CNN’s new app for iPhone and iPod touch simplifies and amplifies news consumption, empowering users to get the news and information they need and want, anytime, anywhere,” said KC Estenson, general manager and SVP of CNN.com. “Simply put, the new CNN App puts the power of the world’s news leader right in the palm your hand.”
Maximizing the revolutionary features of iPhone OS 3.1, the new CNN App showcases news of the day through text, video and photos. It also features live breaking news video, push notification, localization and personalization tools, user-generated content capture and upload functionality through iReport, and more.
“The CNN App has what we think is one of the best user experiences around, and will quickly become an essential daily news source for many iPhone and iPod touch users,” said Louis Gump, vice president of CNN Mobile. “We tailored the best of CNN specifically for them, whether they check in from the beach, the airport or the ballpark.”
CNN App Features include:
- Easy to navigate – Users can easily flick through news stories across categories including Top Stories, World, U.S., Politics, Crime, Entertainment, Health, Travel, Tech and Living. Additionally, when the device is rotated horizontally, stories can be flipped through quickly.
- Easy to consume – Each story features bulleted highlights above the full article, designed to satisfy mobile “snackers,” allowing them to easily scan through the latest stories, as well as meet the needs of users who want the whole story.
- Easy to share – Users can share stories via email, SMS and Twitter, as well as Facebook Connect by posting a story directly to their wall.
- Easy to view – White text on black background providing excellent viewing experience
- iReport: For the first time on a mobile device, the CNN App provides a direct gateway to iReport.com, allowing users to browse user-generated content; register, sign-in to their account or sign on as a guest to capture and instantly upload user-generated photos and videos (with the iPhone 3GS). Users also can browse iReport.com’s latest “assignments,” asking the community to weigh in on local and national news stories.
Personalization: “My CNN”
- Local news, weather and traffic based on user’s actual location or the ability to select a specific location.
- Ability to “follow” a story or topic: As CNN publishes breaking news alerts or new stories related to a chosen topic, the app will automatically push the updates to the device.
- “Saved” content functionality, which enables users to access text stories that interest them anytime, anywhere – even when they’re offline.
- Live streaming video – Provides users with access to live streaming video directly from CNN.com Live, the Internet’s only live multi-stream video news service.
- On-demand – The App provides access to an extensive selection of on-demand video clips across many categories, including Latest News, Most Popular, On TV, U.S., World, Entertainment, Tech, Offbeat, Politics and Health.
For more information about the features in the CNN App, go to www.cnn.com/iphone.
The CNN App is available in the U.S. for $1.99 from the App Store on iPhone and iPod touch or at www.iTunes.com/Apps/CNNMobile. Launch advertisers Chevron and Lexus will be featured in the CNN App with logo placement and banner ads.
CNN.com is the No. 1 destination for online and wireless news according to Nielsen, garnering the greatest audience share in total minutes and page views and the most video and mobile usage among current events and global news sites. Launched in 1995, CNN.com draws from the resources of CNN Worldwide and its many partners to provide consumers with the most enriching, immediate interaction with news anywhere, seamlessly combining articles, videos, images, interactive features and user-generated content. CNN.com’s news video offering – both live and on-demand – is unparalleled on the Web. CNN.com’s recent awards include a Peabody Award, two EPpy awards, four CableFAX Best of the Web awards, a National Headliner award, and the 2009 Edward R. Murrow award for best website.