Dow Jones Introduces Premium News Site: The Wall Street Journal Professional Edition
NEW YORK, Oct. 21 /PRNewswire/ — Dow Jones & Company today announced plans to launch The Wall Street Journal Professional Edition, a premium business news service that delivers customized news feeds and alerts directly to subscribers’ desktops and mobile devices. The service offers news scoops, the latest in industry-specific breaking news and immediate analysis of customers’ industry sectors from Dow Jones Newswires, The Wall Street Journal and the rich collection of 17,000 global business and news sources of Dow Jones Factiva.
Available in a simple, personalized user interface, The Wall Street Professional Edition combines award-winning news and analysis from Dow Jones and The Wall Street Journal with Dow Jones Factiva’s powerful search, alerting and monitoring features and content archive, providing an unmatched resource for business subscribers to stay on top of the day’s news while also monitoring focused and personalized in-depth news and information about the industries affecting their business.
Dow Jones is making The Wall Street Journal Professional Edition available exclusively to enterprise customers in November with broader availability scheduled for January 2010.
“This really is a new model for the delivery of high-quality business news for a sophisticated audience. We are not imprisoned by a terminal and are thus able to produce a more contemporary Web-based news feed tailored to a sector, a company or an asset class. Readers will be able to create a virtual newswire and alert system that suits their specific business needs,” said Robert Thomson, editor-in-chief of Dow Jones & Company and managing editor of The Wall Street Journal. “It gives users a digital news library along with the world’s premier newspaper and newswire. No other business news organization in the world has the same range of products or depth of reader-ready knowledge.”
Key features of The Wall Street Journal Professional Edition include:
- Aggregated news and information from more than 17,000 global sources — a significant portion of which are not available on the public Web — along with The Wall Street Journal, supported by more than 2,000 Dow Jones journalists in 84 bureaus worldwide
- Factiva SmartSearch(TM), which provides a one-year archive of Factiva’s global business sources and a two-year archive of wsj.com content, filtered and sorted to reveal the best, highest-value results
- Search results that are instantly analyzed to uncover issues, industries, companies, people and ideas buried beneath the headlines and displayed in know-at-a-glance graphical format
- More than 30 industry-specific pages, managed by a team of Dow Jones editors to deliver the most current insight and identify emerging trends
- Six key industry sections that are continuously managed by Wall Street Journal editors who select news and information from across Factiva’s vast archive: Pharmaceuticals, Healthcare, Energy, Media & Marketing, Telecommunications and Technology
- Custom News that allows users to personalize their own home page to quickly surface the news they want on issues, companies, industries or editor-chosen “deep dives”
- User-defined alerts to deliver the latest news and information when and how it is needed
“We’ve designed The Wall Street Journal Professional Edition to deliver information without the overload,” said Clare Hart, executive vice president, Dow Jones & Company, and president, Dow Jones Enterprise Media Group. “By harnessing the power of Dow Jones Factiva and combining it with the unmatched news and analysis from wsj.com, business professionals get the focused news and content they need and want in a way that allows them to quickly identify what is meaningful or important to them. If they want more detail or a broader view, they can dig deeper to gain additional insight; all of this adds up to tremendous competitive advantage to the business professional who needs quick, easy access to information about industries, companies, people and issues.”
More information is available at http://www.dowjones.com/product-wsj-prof-edition.asp .
ABOUT DOW JONES & COMPANY
Dow Jones & Company (www.dowjones.com) is a News Corporation company (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV; www.newscorp.com). Dow Jones is a leading provider of global business news and information services. Its Consumer Media Group publishes The Wall Street Journal, Barron’s, MarketWatch and the Far Eastern Economic Review. Its Enterprise Media Group includes Dow Jones Newswires, Dow Jones Factiva, Dow Jones Client Solutions, Dow Jones Indexes and Dow Jones Financial Information Services. Its Local Media Group operates community-based information franchises. Dow Jones owns 50% of SmartMoney and 33% of STOXX Ltd. and provides news content to radio stations in the U.S.
SOURCE Dow Jones & Company