Lifetime Networks and VOICE Partner on New Inspirational Book Secrets of Powerful Women: Leading Change for a New Generation
LOS ANGELES and NEW YORK, Dec. 2 /PRNewswire/ — Lifetime Networks, the most powerful media brand targeted to women, and VOICE, an imprint of Hyperion dedicated to publishing books by and about women, have partnered to publish Secrets of Powerful Women: Leading Change for a New Generation, the only book to gather a diverse collection of essays to inspire women and girls to become leaders in business, politics and in their communities. Featuring an introduction from actress Rosario Dawson and a foreword by Andrea Wong, President and CEO of Lifetime Networks, the book will impart the secrets to success — from personal tales of missteps to power pitfalls, power surges, powerful beginnings and power suits — from 24 top female community and business leaders, politicians and journalists.
The book, scheduled for release on February 2, 2010, is a project resulting from Lifetime’s award-winning Every Woman Counts campaign. First launched in 1992 and executed during each subsequent presidential election cycle, Every Woman Counts is the entertainment industry’s only ongoing public advocacy campaign dedicated to amplifying women’s voices in the political process, encouraging them to register to vote, speak out on the issues they care about most and run for office.
As part of the 2008 campaign, Lifetime hosted the Future Frontrunners contest, designed to spark interest and participation in the political process among high school and college-aged girls, who entered written or video submissions explaining what they would do if they were President of the United States. Winners were given the exclusive opportunity to attend the 2008 Democratic and Republican National Conventions, where they heard first-hand from the many contributors to the book. The essays featured in Secrets of Powerful Women are based on the intimate talks these leaders had with the Future Frontrunner winners in Denver and Minneapolis-St. Paul.
Women included in the book are as follows:
- Michelle Bernard, President and CEO of the Independent Women’s Forum; Political and Legal Analyst, MSNBC; Columnist, The Washington Examiner; Author, Women’s Progress
- Susan Bevan, Co-chair of the Republican Majority for Choice
- Marsha Blackburn, Congresswoman (R), 7th District of Tennessee and the first woman in Tennessee elected to the U.S. House of Representatives
- Martha Burk, Co-founder of the Center for Advancement of Public Policy; Director of Corporate Accountability Project for the National Council of Women’s Organizations (NCWO)
- Shelley Moore Capito, Congresswoman (R), 2nd District of West Virginia and the first Republican woman elected to Congress from West Virginia
- Fran Drescher, film actress and comedienne; Public Diplomacy Envoy, Women’s Health Issues for the U.S. State Department
- Beth Frerking, Assistant Managing Editor, Partnerships, at POLITICO.com
- Kay Granger, Congresswoman (R), 12th District of Texas and the first woman on the Defense Appropriations Sub-Committee
- Carol Jenkins, former President of the Women’s Media Center and EmmyÂ® Award-winning broadcast journalist
- Madeleine Kunin, first female Governor (D) of Vermont; the first woman to serve three terms as Governor of any state; former U.S. Ambassador to Switzerland
- Kathy Lantry, St. Paul City Council President and its only woman member
- Lisa Maatz, Director, Public Policy and Government Relations, the American Association of University Women (AAUW)
- Carolyn Maloney, first woman (D) to represent the 7th City Council District of New York City and the first woman to represent the 14th Congressional District of New York
- Betsy Myers, Senior Advisor to Barack Obama’s Presidential campaign; former Executive Director of the Center for Public Leadership at Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government; Chair and Chief Operating Officer of Women for Obama
- Maria Teresa Petersen, Founding Executive Director of Voto Latino
- Cathy McMorris-Rodgers, Congresswoman (R) of the 5th District of Washington; Member, House Armed Services, Education and Labor and Natural Resources Committees
- Loretta Sanchez, Congresswoman (D) of the 47th District of California and the first Mexican-American to represent Orange County in Congress
- Jan Schakowsy, Congresswoman (D), 9th District of Illinois; Member, House Energy and Commerce Committee
- Leticia Van de Putte, State Senator (D), 26th District of Texas; Co-chair, 2008 Democratic National Convention
- Susan Wolf Turnbull, Vice Chair of the Democratic National Committee
- Laurie Westley, Senior Vice President, Public Policy, Advocacy and the Research Institute, Girl Scouts of the USA
- Marie Wilson, President of The White House Project; Co-creator of Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day
100% of Lifetime’s proceeds from the book will be donated to The White House Project, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization working to advance a richly diverse, critical mass of women into leadership positions.
VOICE, an imprint of Hyperion Books, was founded in 2006. It is the only major book imprint dedicated to content by and about women. VOICE’s titles include a rich variety of fiction and nonfiction. Within the imprint’s first 16 months in the marketplace, it published four New York Times Bestsellers — including The Feminine Mistake by Leslie Bennetts, One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell, The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff, and The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan (which spent 24 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list). For further information, please visit www.everywomansvoice.com.
About Lifetime Networks
Lifetime Networks is a diverse, multi-media company, committed to offering the highest quality entertainment and information programming that celebrates, entertains and supports women.
Through its award-winning public affairs initiatives, the Company also advocates a wide range of issues affecting women and their families. Lifetime TelevisionÂ®, Lifetime Movie NetworkÂ®, Lifetime Real WomenÂ® and Lifetime Digital(TM) (which includes myLifetime.com, LMN.tv, Lifetime Games, Roiworld.com, DressUpChallenge.com, MothersClick.com and LifetimeMoms.com) are part of Lifetime Entertainment Services, LLC, a subsidiary of A&E Television Networks, LLC. A&E Television Networks is a joint venture of the Disney-ABC Television Group, Hearst Corporation and NBC Universal.
SOURCE Lifetime Networks