Will Sunday’s Oscars(R) Get a Ratings Boost From ‘Avatar’, Sandra Bullock, and New Hosts?
LOS ANGELES, March 5 /PRNewswire/ — Fandango, the nation’s leading moviegoer destination, surveyed more than 1,000 moviegoers about a renewed interest in watching the Academy AwardsÃ‚® show this year, as opposed to previous years. Among the findings:
- 66% are more interested in watching this year’s OscarÃ‚® hosts Steve Martin & Alec Baldwin than they were in watching last year’s host, Hugh Jackman.
- 58% will not miss the live musical numbers for “Best Song.”
- 51% have seen more of the Best Picture nominees this year.
- 48% are more interested in this year’s OscarsÃ‚® because “Avatar” is in the running for major awards.
- 40% are interested in seeing Sandra Bullock’s first time at the OscarsÃ‚®.
- 35% are interested in watching this year’s show to see the real-life Best Director showdown between ex-spouses James Cameron (“Avatar”) and Kathryn Bigelow (“The Hurt Locker”).
More than 32% of moviegoers plan to attend or host an OscarÃ‚®-viewing get-together with friends this Sunday, according to the Fandango survey. To help moviegoers make their parties more festive, Fandango’s Awards Watch section is offering food, drink and activity suggestions for Hollywood’s big night at http://awardswatch.fandango.com/2010/allaboutawards/. Film fans can also print their own OscarÃ‚® ballot at Fandango (perfect for tallying votes at your party), and read awards predictions and commentary on the best and worst fashions on the red carpet.
Among the OscarÃ‚® viewing party suggestions from Fandango’s awards blogger Sarah McLaughlin:
- The “Avatar”-Themed Party: Create a “Welcome to the Jungle” milieu and serve Blue Terra chips, Blue Gatorade, etc.
- The “District 9″-Themed Party: A “Humans Only” motif, serving prawns for finger food.
- The “Inglourious Basterds”-Themed Party: Stage a movie premiere setting, with various kinds of milk (Colonel Hans Landa’s favorite drink).
One of the Web’s top movie and entertainment destinations, Fandango sells tickets to more than 16,000 screens. Fandango entertains and informs consumers with reviews, commentary and trailers, and offers the ability to quickly select a film, plan where and when to see it, and conveniently buy tickets in advance. Fandango is available at www.fandango.com, 1-800-FANDANGO and via your wireless mobile device at mobile.fandango.com. Fandango is a unit of Comcast Interactive Media.