Summer Entertaining with a Twist
QUINCY, Mass., July 1 /PRNewswire/ — Summer is here, and there is no better time to soak-up everything the warm weather has to offer. Whether you’re hosting an annual summer party or a small backyard gathering, Stop & Shop has easy, affordable tips for how to make an ordinary meal extraordinary.
Don’t get stuck in a rut with standard burgers and brats. Tantalize taste buds by introducing new sauces or spreads to the mix – explore Hoisin sauce to add an Asian kick or a Feta cheese spread for a tangy twist on a family favorite. Want a low-cal option? Substitute salmon for beef, and garnish with flavorful toppings like onions and roasted red peppers.
Sweet and savory sides and salads are another great way to rethink summer meals, especially when fresh fruit and produce are at their best. Add strawberries, goat cheese, walnuts and sesame dressing for a flavorful twist on a garden salad or throw some peaches on the grill for dessert. Grilling coaxes out the natural sweetness of fruits like peaches, which caramelize over high heat. Great on salads and over ice cream, grilled fruit is a healthy, affordable way to enjoy the summer’s bounty.
“Summer is a perfect time to bring family and friends together,” says Andrea Astrachan, consumer advisor for Stop & Shop. “From local produce to sustainable seafood, party platters and more, we offer a one-stop shopping experience for every outdoor gathering.”
Below are some quick tips for the next family barbeque:
- Summer means seafood, but choose responsibly. Stop & Shop runs all of their seafood orders through the New England Aquarium and promotes items that come from well-managed fisheries and farms. Interested in sustainable seafood? Check out Stop & Shop’s Pacific longline-caught cod, Alaska salmon, Arctic char and tilapia.
- Maximize flavor without breaking the bank. The leanest cuts of steak are healthier and often the most affordable too. Ensure tenderness and tastiness of lean cuts by marinating overnight. Racing the clock? Find pre-marinated meats and seafood at your local Stop & Shop for delicious last-minute meals.
- Don’t forget the veggies. Buy your produce in bulk for the week. Produce such as corn and summer squash can be refrigerated in a plastic bag for up to one week. Want a tip for picking peppers? Go green. Green peppers stay fresh slightly longer than red or yellow varieties.
- Look for healthy options. Healthy and barbeque don’t always go hand in hand. Look for Stop & Shop’s Healthy Ideas symbol when purchasing party snacks, buns and bread. The on-shelf symbol will simplify the search for healthier options when you’re in a hurry.
- Don’t be afraid to make extra. Many times items are cheaper when bought in bulk. Get the most bang for your buck and look for “Real Deals” or “Double Deals” signs at your local Stop & Shop and serve leftovers for next day lunches and dinners!
Stop & Shop offers more than 600 easy, affordable recipes online at www.stopandshop.com. Check out these summer-inspired recipes and more for your next summer outing.
Blue Burgers - A tasty twist for your summertime grill! Ingredients 1-1/2 lbs ground beef 1/4 lb blue cheese Kosher salt Black pepper Bulkie Rolls Lettuce Tomato Slices
Mold burger patties and stuff with one tablespoon or less of blue cheese, fully covering cheese with burger meat on all sides. Season with salt and pepper. Place burgers on a hot grill and cook until desired doneness. Serve in a bulkie roll with lettuce and a tomato slice.
Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Peaches – Grilling peaches coaxes out the natural sweetness, which caramelizes over the high heat. They are also great with ice cream or yogurt, but using them in a salad is a great way to use summer’s bounty and blend sweet and savory together.
Ingredients 2 peaches, halved and pit removed Extra-virgin olive oil (about 2 teaspoons) 2 beets, roasted and cut into cubes (substitute 1 can of sliced beets, drained) 2 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled 1/4 thinly sliced red onion 2-3 cups mesclun lettuce 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Coat peaches lightly with olive oil. Place on hot grill and sear on cut side. Turn and cook for an additional 1 minute and remove from grill. Slice peaches and place in a large bowl. Top with beets, goat cheese, onion and lettuce. Toss with vinegar and olive oil. Taste and adjust flavors.
About Stop & Shop
The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company employs more than 59,000 associates and operates stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, New York, and New Jersey. The company is a member of the US Green Building Council and has been awarded LEED (EB) certifications for 50 of its existing stores. Stop & Shop has been recognized by the EPA for the superior energy management of its stores and is also a member of the EPA’s Smart Way program.
SOURCE Stop & Shop