Brandon Knight and Chiney Ogwumike Named Gatorade High School Athletes of the Year
LOS ANGELES, July 14 /PRNewswire/ — The biggest names in high school and professional sports convened in Los Angeles today as Gatorade honored the top prep male and female athletes with the eighth annual Gatorade High School Athlete of the Year awards. Two-time Gatorade National Boys Basketball Player of the Year Brandon Knight (Pine Crest School/Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) was named the 2010 Gatorade Male High School Athlete of the Year and Gatorade National Girls Basketball Player of the Year Chiney Ogwumike (Cy-Fair High School/Cypress, Texas) received the 2010 Gatorade Female High School Athlete of the Year honors.
Knight and Ogwumike received their awards at a luncheon emceed by ESPN’s Stuart Scott and attended by Lisa Leslie (1989-90 Gatorade National Girls Basketball Player of the Year), Kevin Love (2007 Gatorade Male High School Athlete of the Year), Brandi Chastain (FC Gold Pride, WPS) and Wes Welker (1999-00 Gatorade Oklahoma Football Player of the Year).
Established in 1985, the Gatorade Player of the Year program annually recognizes one winner in the District of Columbia and each of the 50 states that sanction high school football, girls volleyball, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls basketball, boys and girls soccer, baseball, softball, and boys and girls track & field, and awards one National Player of the Year in each sport. In addition to athletic excellence, the award recognizes academic achievement and exemplary character on and off the field. In 2003, the Gatorade High School Athlete of the Year awards were established to identify and honor the nation’s top overall male and female high school athletes from among the 12 Gatorade National Players of the Year honored during the high school athletic season.
All Gatorade High School Athlete of the Year nominees will walk the ESPY red carpet and be featured as special guests during The ESPY Awards Show. The show will take place this evening and air live on ESPN at 9:00 p.m. EDT.
“The Gatorade Athlete of the Year Awards stand apart in that they honor those who are not only the best on the field of play, but are also proven performers academically, and actively give back to their communities,” said Gatorade Senior Vice President of Sports Marketing Jennifer Storms. “Brandon and Chiney are outstanding examples of what a leader and a student-athlete should exemplify.”
2010 GATORADE HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETE OF THE YEAR AWARD WINNERS
Brandon Knight: A two-time Gatorade National Boys Basketball Player of the Year, Knight led the undermanned Panthers (25-5) to the Class 3A state title game this past season, averaging 31.9 points, 8.6 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 2.5 steals while shooting at 82.4 percent (220-for-267) from the free throw line. Knight nearly averaged a double-double from the backcourt despite that he took 38 percent of his team’s shots and 42.4 percent of its free throws. He shot 47 percent from the field even though 44 percent of his attempts came from 3-point range.
- Two-time Gatorade National Boys Basketball Player of the Year, joining LeBron James and Greg Oden as the only other players so honored
- Led the Panthers (25-5) to the Class 3A state title game this past season
- Averaged 31.9 points, 8.6 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 2.5 steals while shooting at 82.4 percent (220-for-267) from the free throw line
- Member of the 2010 USA Basketball Junior Select National Team
- 2010 McDonald’s All-American (hit game-winning three-pointer in 107-104 West squad victory)
- 2010 Jordan Brand Classic All-American
- 2010 PARADE Magazine All-America First Team
- USA Today 2010 All-USA First Team
- 2010 Naismith Award finalist
- Ranked No. 1 nationally in Class of 2010 by Rivals and Scout.com
- Ranked No. 3 by ESPNU
- 2010 Florida Dairy Farmers Sports Awards Class 3A Player of the Year
- 2010 All-Class Florida Dairy Farmers Mr. Basketball
- Two-time Miami Herald Athlete of the Year
Chiney Ogwumike: Ogwumike led the Bobcats (36-1) to a No. 7 national ranking and the Class 5A state tournament title this past season. She averaged 22.9 points, 13.9 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 2.1 blocks playing just 18 minutes per game. As a senior, Ogwumike shot 67.8 percent from the floor and recorded 22 double-doubles, including 24 points and 25 rebounds in the state semifinals followed by 31 points and 18 rebounds in the title game.
- Led the Bobcats (36-1) to a No. 7 national ranking and the Class 5A state tournament title
- Averaged 22.9 points, 13.9 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 2.1 blocks playing just 18 minutes per game
- Shot 67.8 percent from the floor and recorded 22 double-doubles
- 2010 McDonald’s High School All-American Game National Player of the Year
- 2010 Naismith Girls High School Basketball Player of the Year
- 2010 PARADE Co-Player of the Year
- 2010 Women’s Basketball Coaches Association All-America Game MVP
- No. 1 national recruit in the Class of 2010 as ranked by ESPNU and Blue Star Basketball
- 2010 Texas Girls Coaches Association 2009-2010 4A-5A Athlete of the Year
- 2009-10 Texas Association of Basketball Coaches Class 5A All-State selection
- 2010 District 15-5A MVP
2010 GATORADE HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETE OF THE YEAR AWARD NOMINEES
The 2009-10 Gatorade National Players of the Year (see below) representing six male and six female sports were nominees for the Gatorade High School Athlete of the Year awards.
SPORT NAME HIGH SCHOOL BOUND FOR ... FEMALE Ashley Shakopee High School Volleyball Wittman (Shakopee, MN) Minnesota Cross Megan Rochester High School Country Goethals (Rochester Hills, MI) Washington Chiney Cy-Fair High School (Cypress, Basketball Ogwumike TX) Stanford Mollie Soccer Pathman Durham Academy (Durham, NC) Duke Dunnellon High School Softball Kasey Fagan (Dunnellon, FL) Florida Track & St. Elizabeth High School Field Ashton Purvis (Oakland, CA) Miami MALE Oaks Christian School Football Malcolm Jones (Westlake Village, CA) UCLA Cross Lukas Carl Sandburg High School Country Verzbicas (Orland Park, IL) HS Junior Brandon Pine Crest School (Fort Basketball Knight Lauderdale, FL) Kentucky Dearborn High School Soccer Soony Saad (Dearborn, MI) Michigan LA Angels/ Baseball Kaleb Cowart Cook High School (Adel, GA) Florida State Track & Gresham High School (Gresham, Field Sam Crouser OR) Oregon
PAST GATORADE HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETE OF THE YEAR AWARD WINNERS -----------------------------------------------------------
Former winners of Gatorade Male and Female High School Athlete of the Year honors include: LeBron James /Basketball (Arkron, OH /Miami 2003 Male: Heat) Allyson Felix /Track & Field (Los Angeles, CA Female: /USA Track & Field) Dwight Howard /Basketball (Atlanta, GA / 2004 Male: Orlando Magic) Candace Parker /Basketball (Naperville, IL / Female: Los Angeles Sparks) Greg Paulus /Football (Syracuse, NY /Syracuse 2005 Male: University) Cynthia Barboza /Volleyball (Long Beach, CA / Female: USA Volleyball) Greg Oden /Basketball (Indianapolis, IN / 2006 Male: Portland Trailblazers) Tina Charles /Basketball (New York, NY / Female: University of Connecticut) Kevin Love /Basketball (Lake Oswego, OR / 2007 Male: Minnesota Timberwolves) Maya Moore /Basketball (Suwanee, GA / Female: University of Connecticut) Matt Barkley /Football (Santa Ana, CA / 2008 Male: University of Southern California) Chanelle Price /Track & Field (Easton, PA / Female: University of Tennessee) Garrett Gilbert /Football (Austin, TX / 2009 Male: University of Texas) Skylar Diggins /Basketball (South Bend, IN / Female: University of Notre Dame)
For more information on the Gatorade High School Athlete of the Year awards and the Gatorade Player of the Year program, visit www.playeroftheyear.gatorade.com.