MoMA Launches Free iPhone App on App Store
NEW YORK, Aug. 12 /PRNewswire/ — The Museum of Modern Art today announces that the MoMA App is now available on the App Store. The new application for the iPhone and iPod touch provides users with instant access to 32,000 works of art in the Museum’s vast collection of modern and contemporary art; a dictionary of art terms and a database of artist bios; calendar information for exhibitions, film screenings, and events; and a variety of audio tours, including special tours for children, teens, and the visually impaired. As a useful companion for visits to the Museum, the MoMA App offers users a chance to snap photos inside the Museum and send them as postcards, and allows visitors to select tracks from their own music libraries to listen to while touring the Museum. The application’s highly engaging visual interface was designed in-house, and when used with the new iPhone 4G and its high resolution and retina display, artworks can be viewed in the highest possible quality. The MoMA App is available as a free download from the App Store, and follows the spring 2010 release of the Museum’s first e-book app Vincent van Gogh: The Starry Night.
“With MoMA’s new app and other upcoming initiatives, MoMA is taking advantage of features specific to an iPhone and iPod touch, and also actively building a platform for publishing content to multiple devices,” says Allegra Burnette, MoMA’s Creative Director of Digital Media.
The MoMA iPhone Application Features:
- A Calendar of current and upcoming exhibitions, daily events and film screenings, with the ability to share via Facebook or Twitter.
- Tours, which include the MoMA Audio programs, with five distinct tour options, such as Special Exhibitions, Modern Voices, Modern Kids, MoMA Teen Audio, and Visual Descriptions, and the ability to browse by floor or stop number.
- An Art index of over 32,000 works featured in the collection as well as a database of art terms and artist biographies.
- Information about the museum, including hours, admission and transportation.
- MoMA Snaps offers the option to take a picture in the Museum and send it as a Museum postcard.
- MoMA Tracks allows visitors to select tracks from their own music library to listen to while exploring the Museum or the MoMA App.
- Access to MoMA resources on iTunes, iTunes U, and YouTube.
The MoMA App is available for free from the App Store on iPhone and iPod touch or at http://www.itunes.com/app/moma.
Vincent van Gogh: The Starry Night E-Book App
Also available on the App Store is The Museum of Modern Art’s first e-book app Vincent van Gogh: The Starry Night, which combines MoMA’s expertise and educational resources with the interactivity and convenience of the iPhone and iPod touch to present the story behind one of the most beloved works in the Museum’s collection. It features a lively text by art historian Richard Thomson and over 30 full-color, high-resolution illustrations interspersed throughout, including more than a dozen works by Van Gogh and paintings by other artists that demonstrate his influence. Readers can zoom in on these works for close observation of details, brushwork, and technique not easily visible at first glance, and save favorite images and passages from the text to their own iPhone or iPod touch. It is available from the App Store for $4.99.
For more information:
MoMA’s Interactive Options
MoMA continues to offer its other interactive options including free museum-wide wifi access, the MoMA Channel on iTunes [including tours, podcasts, videos, e-books and more], and the interactive kiosks positioned throughout the Museum. Other interactive options include INSIDE/OUT, the MoMA and MoMA PS1 blog, the MoMA Facebook page and MoMA on Twitter.
SOURCE The Museum of Modern Art