Eat What You Love: Comfort Food Makeovers From Taste of Home & Healthy Cooking
GREENDALE, Wis., Feb. 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — On newsstands now: Eat what you love. That’s the motto of the February/March 2011 issue of Taste of Home Healthy Cooking. And what if what you crave this time of year are hearty comfort foods like bubbling casseroles, juicy steaks, mashed potatoes, creamy pastas, and chocolate cake? No problem! Warm your family up our best comfort food makeovers yet. Taste of Home and Healthy Cooking have it all plus ideas for Valentine’s Day, getting in some exercise, and more.
Lighten Up! Test Kitchen Makeovers of Your Favorite Pasta Dishes
“Now That’s Comfort!” (page 23) Our test kitchen knows how to cut fat, calories and more without compromising flavor and these fabulous pasta favorites to fill you up are no exception. Start with our cover model Bacon Chicken Alfredo (60 percent less sodium and calories than – but all the bacon, cheese, and homey flavor of – the original). Then, try Easy Linguine Casserole, Mac & Cheese, Creamy Kugel Makeover, and A Meat-Lover’s Lasagna – every one of them good and good for you!
- More, more, more? Check out this issue’s “Easy. Healthy. Everyday.” (48) with twelve fast and filling dishes to warm you up including Pork Chops with Cranberry Dijon Sauce, Chicken Fajita Pizza, Egg Foo Yong, Shepherd’s Pie, and Mexican Meat Loaf – all low in prep time and short on saturated fat and calories.
Valentine’s Day Sweets and Romance – All the Love, None of the Guilt
Cozy up to Grilled Beef Tenderloins and Garlic-Dill Smashed Potatoes in “A Meal to Remember” (page 14) – a romantic and comforting table for two without the fat and calories (only 428 calories and 12g of fat (5g saturated)). Then, keep the romance going and work some exercise into the mix with a post-supper walk. And check out more exercise ideas in “Shore Thing” (19 – a seaside walk creates 50 percent greater calorie burn than on dry land) and “Stand Up for Yourself!” (22 – get your body moving!).
- Want to “Win Their Hearts” and stay heart healthy? Celebrate with Valentine’s Day desserts (17) that no one will believe are lighter and lower in saturated fats like Creamy Pistachio Biscotti, Raspberry Baked Alaska Pie, Chocolate-Raspberry Bread Pudding, and Cherry Upside-Down Cake.
Taste of Home Is the Home for Healthy Comfort Food Off- and Online
After devouring the February/March issue of Healthy Cooking, Taste of Home wants to make sure you never, ever have to eat a plate of tasteless diet fare while your family devours the dishes you actually want to eat. At Taste of Home, the words “comfort food” and “diet” and “family” can and do work together:
- First, find delicious recipes for eating healthy and recipes for special diets: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Healthy-Eating.
- Next, check out the February/March issue of Taste of Home and “No Gain and No Pain” (page 40) for a sample of our lightened-up family classics from The Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: New Family Classics Collection.
- Then, pick up the book. The Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: New Family Classics Collection is the follow up to last year’s bestselling Comfort Food Diet Cookbook. The all-new cookbook offers 416 recipes like Busy Mom’s Chicken Fajitas and Chili Mac Casserole that allow you to feed your family the foods they love and not deprive you in the process!
- Got the book and ready to start? The Comfort Food Diet cookbooks have a completely updated, dedicated, and exclusive web site with recipes and tools to help you count calories and shed pounds: http://ComfortFoodDietCookbook.com.
- Finally, join our public forum to find motivation, guidance, and community. The forum features posts from dieters and the Comfort Food Diet registered dietitians who will help answer questions, post hints, and share tips to help members meet their weight loss goals: http://www.tasteofhome.com/ComfortFoodDietForum.
Whether you need to manage your weight, manage your health, or just want to feel and look your best without giving up the foods you and your gang love to eat, Taste of Home and Healthy Cooking have all the tools you need to succeed.
Healthy Cooking is a bimonthly publication with a rate base of 650,000 from the editors at Taste of Home–the leading multi-platform producer of information on food, cooking and entertaining, serving home cooks with engaging media that capture the joy and comfort received from food made with love. Taste of Home publishes three magazines (the flagship Taste of Home–America’s largest cooking magazine, with a circulation of 3.2 million–Healthy Cooking and Simple & Delicious); top-selling bookazines; newsstand specials; and popular cookbooks. Tasteofhome.com is a top destination for engaging audiences with kitchen-tested recipes, how-to techniques, cooking videos and lively community forums. Taste of Home is part of the Lifestyle Communities group within RDA (The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc.). More information can be found at http://www.tasteofhome.com.
Find all Taste of Home press releases, media facts, web widgets and more: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Press-Room
Contact: Rebecca Silver | Taste of Home | firstname.lastname@example.org | 212-886-6705
SOURCE Taste of Home