Chinese Orientalist Wins ‘Cultural Personality of the Year’
prizes in the Arab World, announced its winners for the year (2010-2011) .The
winners were named in five distinct categories, while four other categories
were withheld for this year.
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20110302/441367 ) The Winners for 2010-2011 as per Award's Categories are: Category Winner Nationality Title Publisher Cultural Chung Jikon Chinese - - Personality of the Year Best Abdel Raouf Lebanon "Harb Arab Contribution to Sinno Lubnan Scientific the Development 1975-1990" Publishers, of Nations Inc. Lebanon. Best Book in Mohammad Miftah Morocco "Mafaheem Center for Literature Muwasa'a Arab Li Culture. Nazaryah Lebanon Shi'ryah" Best Book in Mohammad Ziyad Syria "Al King Saud Translation Kebbe Tharwah wa University Iqtisad Al (KSU) Saudi Ma'rifah" Arabia. Children's Afaf Tabalah Egypt "Al Bayt Nahdet Literature Wal Misr, Nakhlah". Publishing. Cairo.
The announcement of winners came after discussions at large between the
Award’s Higher Committee and Advisory Council of the results submitted by the
judging panels across the Award’s nine Categories. The judges independently
evaluated a total of 715 nominations received in this year’s session and
submitted their evaluations against a stringent, quantifiable scoring
criterion to ensure the decision is truly reflective of their independent and
The award – carrying the name of Sheikh
served as the ruler of
was established in 2006 to foster greater scholarship and creativity by
recognizing and rewarding innovators and thinkers in areas of knowledge, arts
The award recognizes cultural achievement across one of the broadest and
most diverse areas of any cultural awards internationally. The “Cultural
Personality of the Year” honours prominent figures for their unique
contributions to the advancement of the Arabic culture, and for works that
portray tolerance and promote peaceful coexistence.
“Professor Chung has implemented one of the finest models of cultural
dialogue. The Award’s Advisory Council decision came in recognition of his
generous contribution for more than fifty years in rooting the Arabic
language in the Far East, by teaching, translating and researching our
region’s culture and literature,” Mr.
and writings preserve the essence of our literature across continents, only
wrapped in a different language.”
Chung is the author of the ‘History of Arabic Literature’ encyclopedia,
which comprises 1140 pages in two volumes. He currently works in various
capacities, among which are Professor of Arabic Language in the University of
Peking, head of Chinese Society for Arabic Literature Studies, vice president
of the Culture Committee at the China-Arab Friendship Association, member of
the Chinese Writers Association, and honorary member of the Arab Writers
Union. He has also translated major works of iconic Arab novelists including
The winner of the Cultural Personality of the Award will receive a prize
bearing the Sheikh
Winners in the Award’s other categories will receive around
The 2011 Sheikh
succeeded for the below reasons:
1. Best Contribution to the Development of Nations – Dr.
Council’s decision came in recognition of the value of the book as an
accurate resource on the historical era of
providing an in-depth scientific analysis of the socio-economic circumstances
leading to the disintegration of the country’s structure, culture and economy.
2. Best Book in Literature: Dr.
book “Mafaheem Muwasa’a Li Nazaryah Shi’ryah” – comprises of three Volumes.
The Award’s Advisory Council’s decision came in recognition of the immense
value of the author’s work, combining descriptive, analytical and exploratory
methodologies in one scientific study of linguistics, music and psychology,
in an attempt to establish a theory that links poetry to mysterious forces of
3. Best Book in Translation – Dr. Mohammad Ziyad Kibbeh from
his book “Al Tharwah wa Iqtisad Al Ma’rifah” – Translated from “Revolutionary
reference offers solutions to critical contemporary quandaries which the
winning translator has successfully communicated using excellent language
while preserving the essence of the original script.
4. Children’s Literature – Afaf Tabbalah from
Bayt Wal Nakhlah”. The winning book was named a sophisticated diversion from
the children’s literature “mainstream”. It explores the inner worlds of
children, in a masterful story-telling style, leaving ample room for the
young readers to view their surroundings in light of they read.
Meanwhile, awards for “Young Author”, “Fine Arts”, “Publishing and
Distribution”, and “Best Technology in the Field of Culture” were withheld
for this session. “This year’s nominations in these categories did not meet
the Award’s stringent standards and the Advisory Council opted to withhold
them as a result,” Al Oraimi explained.
The winner will be announced at the Sheikh
Ceremony wards ceremony to be held in The Emirates Palace in
Notes to the Editor - The award was established in memory of Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, who served as the ruler of Abu Dhabi and president of the UAE for over 30 years - Sheikh Zayed Book Award rewards innovators and thinkers in areas of knowledge, arts and humanities. Winners are identified through stringent scientific and objective principles to evaluate the merits of their creative work. - The award comprises a total monetary prize value of seven million UAE dirhams. Each prize consists of a gold medal bearing the SZBA logo, a certificate of merit. The Cultural Personality of the Year winner receives a prize of one million dirhams, while the winners of the other categories receive 750,000 dirhams
The Nine Categories of the Sheikh
The award recognizes cultural achievement across one of the broadest and
most diverse areas of any cultural awards internationally, including:
1. Contribution to the Development of Nations: Consists of works in the
fields of economics, sociology, management, politics, law and theology that
contribute to the country’s advancement.
2. Children’s Literature: Covers literary and cultural works addressing
various children’s groups
3. Young Author: Recognizes scientific, literary or cultural works
produced by authors younger than 40 years
4. Translation: Includes translated works, either to or from Arabic
5. Literature: Represents works across various categories of literature
including poetry, stories, novels and plays, research addressing literary
theories, creative writings or works of criticism
6. Fine Arts: Covers books about various forms of art such as music,
cinema, architecture, plastic art, calligraphy, painting, sculpture,
photography and digital arts
7. Best Technology in the Field of Culture: Recognizes written or digital
works and researches which promote the Arabic language.
8. Publishing and Distribution: Includes publishers, distributors and
research institutions which produce a diverse range of texts printed to the
9. Cultural Personality of the Year: Honors a prominent Arab or
international figure who has contributed to the advancement of the Arabic
culture, embodies through his/her work tolerance and promotes peaceful
1. Cultural Personality of the Year- His Highness Dr. Sheikh
and Ruler of
2. Best Contribution to the Development of Nations - withheld 3. Children's Literature - Qais Sedki - United Arab Emirates 4. Literature - retracted 5. Fine Arts - Iyad Hussein Abdullah - Iraq 6. Translation - Albert Habib Mutlaq - Lebanon 7. Young Author - Mohammad Al Mallakh - Morrocco
8. Publishing and Distribution – Nahdet Misr Publishing and Printing -
1. Best Contribution to the Development of Nations –
2. Children's Literature - withheld 3. Literature - Jamal Al Ghitani - Egypt 4. Fine Arts - Maher Rady - Egypt 5. Translation - Sa'ad Abdulaziz Maslouh- Egypt 6. Young Author - Youcef Oughlici - Algeria 7. Cultural Personality of the Year - Pedro Martinez Montavez - Spain 8. Publishing and Distribution - Al-Dar Al-Masriah Al-Lubnaniah - Egypt 2008 Winners Best Contribution to the Development of Nations - withheld Children's Literature - Huda Al-Shawwa Qadoumi - Kuwait Literature - Ibrahim Al Kaouni - Libya Fine Arts - Rifat Al-Chaderji - Iraq Translation - Fayiz Suyyagh - Jordan Young Author - Mohammed Sa'di - Morrocco Cultural Personality of the Year - H. E. Mohammed Bin Eissa - Morrocco Contribution to Technology in the Field of Culture - withheld
Publishing and Distribution – Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and
Best Contribution to the Development of Nations –
Children's Literature - Mohammed Ali Ahmad - Egypt Literature - Waciny Laredj - Algeria Fine Arts - Tharwat Ukhasha - Egypt Translation - Georges Zinaty - Lebanon Young Author - Mahmoud Zein Al-Abedeen - Syria Cultural Personality of the Year - Denys Johnson-Davies - United Kingdom Contribution to Technology in the Field of Culture - withheld Publishing and Distribution - withheld