4G Smartphones, Modems and Hotspots Arrive June 16 on Verizon Wireless Network in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
HARRISBURG, Pa., June 13, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Beginning this week, Verizon Wireless customers here will be able to surf the web, download files and share music and photos up to 10 times faster than before with Verizon Wireless’ 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) network. The network launches June 16 and will be available to residents and businesses in the City of Harrisburg, including the east and west shores, Camp Hill, Carlisle, Hershey, portions of Dauphin and Cumberland counties and at Harrisburg International Airport. Customers that have 4G LTE smartphones, laptop modems and hotspots will be able to take advantage of speeds up to 10 times faster than the company’s 3G network.
“We are proud to help lead Harrisburg into the 4G LTE wireless broadband world, enabling residents, small businesses and local government to connect faster and more fully with each other and those outside our community. Our network is revolutionizing the way people communicate, and we know this connectivity will be a key communications and technology enabler for many years to come,” said Mario Turco, regional president for Verizon Wireless.
Smartphones, Hotspots and Laptop Modems
Harrisburg residents can choose from an array of devices that have already launched to access the blazing fast speeds of the 4G LTE network, including:
- Recently introduced, the Revolution(TM) from LG is the first Android(TM) smartphone that gives Netflix subscribers access to movies and television shows through a pre-loaded Netflix app. Customers can capture and share HD images or videos on a 4.3-inch capacitive touchscreen and take advantage of other features including a rear-facing 5.0-megapixel camera with autofocus and LED flash, a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video chat, 720p HD video recording and playback, built-in HDMI output and SmartShare capability for sharing multimedia content with HDMI capable displays and Mobile Hotspot capability that allows customers to share 4G LTE with up to 8 Wi-Fi-enabled devices or a 3G connection with up to 5 devices. Available for $249.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- The DROID Charge by Samsung features a 4.3-inch Super AMOLED(TM) Plus display, a rear-facing 8-megapixel camera with LED flash and front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for both stills and video chatting, Android 2.2 platform, 1 GHz application processor, HTML 5 Web browser and Mobile Hotspot capability that lets customers share the 4G LTE connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices or the 3G connection with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices. Available for $299.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- ThunderBolt(TM) by HTC smartphone is powered by Android(TM) 2.2 and has an 8-megapixel rear facing camera and HD (720p) video recording, 1.3-megapixel front facing camera with video chatting capabilities, newest generation of the 1GHz Snapdragon processor and Mobile Hotspot capability that lets customers share the 4G LTE connection with up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices. Available for $249.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFiÃ‚® 4510L and the Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot SCH-LC11 let customers share the 4G LTE internet connection with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices at the same time. Each available for $99.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- Verizon Wireless 4G LTE USB Modem 551L comes equipped with a fold-out USB connector, a four color LED Service Status Indicator and an internal antenna. Available for $99.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- The LG VL600 4G LTE modem comes equipped with a fixed USB connector, an LED Service Status Indicator and an internal antenna. Available for $99.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
- Pantech’s UML290 USB modem comes equipped with a fold-away, 180 degree rotating USB connector, an LED Service Status Indicator and a internal antenna. Available for $49.99 after discounts with a new 2-year customer agreement.
In real-world, fully-loaded network environments, 4G LTE users should experience average data rates of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) on the downlink and 2 to 5 Mbps on the uplink, so customers can enjoy the fast speeds of the world’s first large-scale 4G LTE network. Verizon Wireless began introducing the globe’s first large-scale LTE network on December 5, 2010, covering more than 110 million Americans, and is quickly expanding national coverage. In addition to expanding two new markets, the company is adding 19 new markets this week, for a total of 74 metropolitan areas covered. The company is rapidly building out its 4G LTE network, and is on course to deliver 4G LTE to its entire 3G wireless footprint by the end of 2013.
In addition, the company is working with rural communications companies to collaboratively build and operate a 4G network in those areas using the tower and backhaul assets of the rural company and Verizon Wireless’ core 4G LTE equipment and premium 700 MHz spectrum. To date, 10 rural carriers have announced their participation in the LTE in Rural America program and have leased spectrum covering, in total, more than 2.1 million people in rural communities and nearly 72,000 square miles.
When customers travel outside of a 4G coverage area, the devices automatically connect to Verizon Wireless’ 3G network, enabling customers to stay connected from coast to coast. Verizon Wireless’ 3G network is the most reliable network in the country, allowing customers with laptops and smartphones to download and use cool apps, from mobile social networking platforms to GPS-enabled maps, rapidly browse the web to keep up with news, sports, stock quotes, Hollywood gossip and more, work on-the-go with fast file sharing and stream must-see video and customized radio stations.
4G LTE Data Plans, Promotions and Local Store Information
With the Revolution by LG, DROID Charge by Samsung and the ThunderBolt by HTC, customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a 4G LTE data package. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 monthly access and an Unlimited 4G LTE data plan is $29.99 monthly access.
4G LTE Mobile Broadband plans for the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFiÃ‚® 4510, Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot SCH-LC11, Verizon Wireless 4G LTE USB Modem 551L, LG VL600 4G LTE modem and Pantech UML290 USB modem begin at $50 monthly access for 5 GB of data. Data usage can be tracked by logging on to My Verizon online at www.verizonwireless.com/myverizon.
Visit www.verizonwireless.com/lte for more information about Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE network.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 104 million total wireless connections, including more than 88 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
SOURCE Verizon Wireless