Dick Clark plans New Year’s post-stroke TV return
By Steve Gorman
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Veteran TV host Dick Clark plans to
return to the airwaves and Manhattan’s Times Square for his
annual New Year’s Eve broadcast, one year after he was
sidelined by a stroke, his spokesman said on Monday.
Clark, 75, will co-host the upcoming 34th edition of his
“New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” telecast on ABC with Ryan Seacrest,
best known as host of Fox TV’s hit talent show “American Idol.”
Seacrest, who anchored a rival New Year’s Eve show on Fox
last year and in 2002, has signed a multiyear deal to share
hosting duties with Clark on the ABC broadcast and eventually
take over as its sole host, producers said.
He plans to remain with Fox for a fifth season of “American
“It will be good to be back in New York again for New
Year’s, and I’m elated that Ryan has agreed to join me in
ushering in New Year’s on America’s favorite holiday special,”
Clark said in a statement.
Seacrest, 30, recently assumed the reins of another pop
culture landmark, replacing Casey Kasem as host of the weekly
radio music countdown “American Top 40.”
Clark suffered a stroke in December 2004 that forced him to
sit out his New Year’s Eve broadcast last year for the first
time since 1972. Morning talk show host and “Who Wants to Be a
Millionaire” quiz master Regis Philbin filled in for him.
The annual holiday special features live musical
performances capped by the midnight descent of a giant,
illuminated ball over Times Square.
Clark presided over more than three decades of pop music
and dance trends as host of the long-running TV show “American
Bandstand.” His company also has produced such perennial TV
events as the American Music Awards and the Golden Globe
Last May, Clark announced he was teaming up with the
creators of “American Idol” to bring a contemporary version of
“Bandstand” back to the airwaves. That project evolved into the
new Fox contest show “So You Think You Can Dance.”