August 4, 2011
Rdio Launches Highly Anticipated iPad App
SAN FRANCISCO, Aug. 4, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Rdio, the unlimited, on-demand social music service from the creators of Skype, today announced the availability of Rdio for iPad. Like the company's popular iPhone app, Rdio for iPad lets users discover music through friends and other influencers as well as search for and instantly play any song, artist, album or playlist from a growing catalog of over 10 million songs. The new app fully utilizes the iPad's expansive screen and intuitive touch interface, turning listening to music into a highly visual, social and interactive experience. This uniquely designed iPad app joins a growing collection of Rdio supported devices and platforms that let users sync music seamlessly across devices and easily pick up their listening experience wherever they've left off.
"With Rdio for iPad you can sit back and casually thumb through the world's collection of music to explore new and old favorites in a stunning and sleek manner," said Malthe Sigurdsson, VP of Product Design at Rdio. "Rdio is focused on design and access across platforms and we were meticulous with every aspect of our iPad app as it is our most requested and anticipated platform to date. Albums flip over to reveal track listings, transitions between portrait and landscape orientations are gorgeously animated, and controls and lists are cleverly laid out to show off album art in high definition."Rdio for iPad takes advantage of the device's glossy widescreen, bringing album cover art to life in both display modes, with a clean layout and intuitive user experience. The app includes all the features of Rdio's widely praised iPhone app in a format designed specifically for the iPad, including:
- Activity - Follow the recent activity of other Rdio users, including friends, recording artists, and influencers whose music taste you appreciate
- Offline access - Sync your music collection including songs, albums and playlists to your mobile devices for listening while you're not connected to a 3G or wireless network
- User profiles - Discover new music through other Rdio users by exploring their music collections, playlists, listening history and more
- Top charts and heavy rotation - Just want to know what's new and buzzing in music? Check out top charts to see what's popular on Rdio and what's in heavy rotation among the people you follow
- New Releases - Be the first to listen to new albums and singles on the day they are released
- Artist Radio and Recommendations - Play a stream of continuous music similar to an artist or receive recommendations based on your listening history
- And much, much more - Listen to and collaborate on playlists, find and follow friends and influencers, access your web queue, listening history and more
Rdio for iPad is a free download from the iTunes App Store. After a 7-day free trial, users can subscribe to Rdio Unlimited for $9.99/month at rdio.com or $14.99/month if subscribed through Apple's in-app purchasing system. Rdio Unlimited includes access via Web, Mac/Windows desktop clients, Roku, Sonos, Pioneer AppRadio, iPad and all major mobile platforms plus the ability to sync for offline listening. Rdio Web is also available for $4.99/month (Web & Mac/Windows desktop clients).
Rdio for iPad is available now from the App Store or at www.itunes.com/appstore.
Rdio is an unlimited, on-demand social music service that brings music alive by letting subscribers listen to as many songs as they want, anytime, anywhere, and discover and share new music with friends. Rdio subscribers build and share their online music collections from a catalogue of over 10 million songs and can check out the listening activity, collections and playlists of other users and influencers as well as see what's in heavy rotation in their network, top charts, and newly released albums. Subscribers can access Rdio on a variety of platforms including web, Mac and Windows desktop clients, mobile phone applications for iPhone, Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone 7, iPad, in-home devices like Sonos and Roku and in the car on Pioneer AppRadio. Rdio was founded by Janus Friis, one of the founders of Skype and is funded by Atomico, Janus Friis through his investment entities, Mangrove Capital Partners and Skype. For more information please visit www.rdio.com.