Quantcast

H&M cancels Kate Moss ad campaign after drug report

September 20, 2005

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) – Fashion giant Hennes and Mauritz has
canceled an advertising campaign using British supermodel Kate
Moss following allegations she took illegal drugs, the
Swedish-based company said on Tuesday.

The company had previously said it would still use Moss in
the campaign after meeting her to discuss the publication of
photos in the Daily Mirror which the British tabloid said
showed her snorting cocaine.

Moss has previously denied taking hard drugs. On Tuesday
her spokeswoman was not immediately available for comment.

“H&M has decided to cancel the advertising campaign with
model Kate Moss. H&M distances itself strongly from drugs and
for several years has been actively engaged in drug prevention
work with the Mentor Foundation,” the company said.

“After examining the situation H&M decided that the
campaign with Kate Moss is not compatible with H&M’s clear
rejection of drugs,” the group added.

Moss’s waifish good looks have graced the covers of
countless magazines. She was discovered by a modeling agency as
a 14-year-old schoolgirl and went on to become one of the most
famous faces on the catwalk.

H&M spokeswoman Annacarin Bjorne said the change of heart
came after the group had considered the matter in more depth.

“We needed the weekend to evaluate the situation and really
to make a well-reasoned decision,” she said.

“What she told us when we talked to her after this came to
our knowledge was just that she was extremely regretful.”

She declined to go into further details of the talks with
the model.

Moss was signed up by H&M to front its high-profile autumn
collection designed by Stella McCartney. She also has contracts
with other major fashion and cosmetic houses, which have all
refused to comment on the story so far.

British media have reported that Moss earns around 4
million pounds a year through commercial contracts.


Topics: Kate Moss, H&M, Moss


comments powered by Disqus