Motorola Solutions Unveils Waterproof TALKABOUTÂ® MS350R Consumer Two-way Radios for 2011 Severe Weather Season
SCHAUMBURG, Ill., Sept. 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) introduces its new series of consumer TALKABOUTÃ‚® two-way radios featuring its first waterproof design. The MS350R series of two-way radios are designed for use during storm season, as well as for hunters and serious outdoor enthusiasts. They combine powerful two-way communications with convenient emergency preparedness features for maximum performance and peace of mind in the event of severe weather and power outages and during remote outdoor adventures when out of cell phone range.
Waterproof Powerful Connections Offer Peace of Mind
The Motorola Talkabout MS350R radios are the first FRS/GMRS two-way radios to feature both a waterproof design and access to eight built-in GMRS repeater channels. The radios meet IP-67 waterproof standards, withstanding submersion of up to one meter for 30 minutes. So, hikers don’t need to worry if they accidentally drop the radios into a river. Or, if the Cub Scout troop gets caught in a heavy downpour without cover, the radios are engineered to withstand some of the harshest weather conditions and maintain reliable communications. The MS350R radios are designed to float and will rise to the top of any water body and can be spotted easily with their bright yellow housing. The hourglass shape and side grips provide for maximum comfort and fit snugly into the palm of the hands, reducing fatigue and discomfort, as well as hand slips. Additionally, repeater channels provide users the power to extend their range transmission by accessing a repeater station.
Optimal Connections for Emergency Preparedness
During severe weather or active family adventures, Motorola two-way radios are a must-have for emergency preparedness kits. The MS350R radio series boasts a variety of safety features to keep families connected and prepared for severe weather and unexpected emergencies. In the event of an approaching storm, everyone can stay informed of changing weather conditions with access to seven National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and four Environment Canada (EC) weather channels, which provide continuous broadcasts of local and regional weather updates.(2) And, in the event of a power outage or when cell phone towers are down, two-way radios keep everyone in touch and in constant communication. There is also a built-in LED flashlight for nighttime convenience.
Convenient Features Provide Flexibility in the Outdoors
Serious sports enthusiasts and hunters alike will appreciate the convenient features the MS350R radios offer, including Motorola’s Push-to-Talk (PTT) power boost option. When activated, this feature can extend the transmission range by increasing the transmitter power output – while helping to save battery life when no power boost is necessary. The iVOX speech activated feature allows for convenient hands-free communication without removing the radio from the belt clip. Hunters can easily stay connected to the group without disturbing game by activating the VibraCall(TM) function, which silently alerts them to incoming transmissions by vibrating.
- Waterproof (IP67 standards)
- Floats with included NiMH battery
- 22 channels + eight repeater channels, each with 121 privacy codes for 2,662 combinations for clear, uninterrupted connections
- Dual power, works with three AA batteries (not included) and rechargeable NiMH batteries (included)
- Approximately 23-hour alkaline or nine-hour NiMH estimated talk time
- iVOX for speech-activated, hands-free communication
- QT (quiet talk) interruption feature, which minimizes listening to other conversations
- LED flashlight
- Seven NOAA and four EC marine weather channels(2)
- VibraCall(TM) vibrating alert
- Backlit display for readability in low lighting conditions
- LCD battery meter for charge indication
- PTT power boost feature
- Delivers a range of up to 35 miles(1) (under optimum conditions)
- Priority scan, audible low battery alert, battery save feature, keypad lock and time-out timer
Marjon De Groot, business director, Giant International, Motorola Solutions Licensee
“We are committed to providing families with the most reliable and convenient communication tools for emergency preparedness. The Motorola Talkabout MS350R radios are ideally suited for use in severe weather situations such as hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, wildfires and winter storms by combining NOAA weather channels and alerts with powerful two-way communications and durable, waterproof housing.”
Pricing and Availability
Now available, the Motorola Talkabout MS350R radios have an MSRP of $99.99 per pair, which includes two radios, two belt clips, one dual charger, one charging adapter, two NiMH rechargeable battery packs and an emergency preparedness checklist sheet. It is available in yellow.
For a full listing of features and additional information on the 2011 Motorola TALKABOUT series of products, please visit http://www.motorolasolutions.com.
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication products and services for enterprise and government customers. Through leading-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker “MSI.” To learn more, visit www.motorolasolutions.com. For ongoing news, please visit our media center or subscribe to our news feed.
NOTE TO EDITORS: Spokesperson available for interview. Product available for review or demo.
(1) The communication range quoted is calculated based on an unobstructed line of sight test under optimum conditions. Actual range will vary depending on terrain and conditions, and is often less than the maximum possible. Your actual range will be limited by several factors including, but not limited to: terrain, weather conditions, electromagnetic interference and obstructions. See www.giantintl.com/Range.htm for further details.
(2) Service may not be available in all areas. Check with your local weather office for frequency and details, or visit www.weather.gov/nwr.
The use of two-way radios while engaged in activities requiring concentration may cause distraction or otherwise impair your ability to safely participate in such activities. Always use technology safely.
Manufactured, distributed or sold by Giant International Ltd., official licensee for this product. MOTOROLA, MOTO, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Ã‚©2011 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SOURCE Motorola Solutions, Inc.