Entertainment News Archive - October 22, 2005
By Georgina Prodhan FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Turkish novelist Orhan Pamuk said on Saturday he stood by remarks about the massacre of Armenians by Ottoman Turks and about the deaths of Kurds in Turkey that could land him in jail for three years.
WARSAW (Reuters) - Twenty-year-old Rafal Blechacz has become the first Pole in 30 years to win the Chopin International Piano Competition, one of the world's most prestigious contests of its kind, organizers said on Saturday.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Shirley Horn, the jazz pianist and singer whose unhurried, breathy style captured the attention of two generations of listeners, has died at age 71, her record company said in a statement.
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.