Baron and Budd Mesothelioma Lawyers Announce $48 Million Verdict Against Dow Subsidiary Union Carbide, Others for California Mesothelioma Patient
Baron and Budd mesothelioma attorneys continue dedication to mesothelioma patients with one of the largest mesothelioma verdicts of 2012.
Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) October 21, 2012
Earlier this year, the family of a mesothelioma patient was awarded $48 million by a Los Angeles jury after finding Dow Chemical subsidiary Union Carbide Corp., Riverside Cement, CalPortland and others responsible. This mesothelioma verdict is one of the largest in the nation in 2012 and the largest in California (Bobbie Izell, et al. v. Union Carbide Corp., et al., Los Angeles County, Case No. 4674).
Baron and Budd mesothelioma attorneys John Langdoc and Christine Tamer represented the patient and his family during trial.
“The asbestos companies abjectly refused to admit that their products are causing cancer,” said mesothelioma lawyer John Langdoc. “But documents used in this case said not only that their products caused cancer – but that they also spent millions hiding that fact.”
Union Carbide presented several paid expert witnesses during a six-week trial who argued that its asbestos —trade named “Calidria asbestos” — didn´t cause cancer. But confidential internal documents disclosed that Union Carbide staff physicians criticized the marketing and sales groups for telling customers its asbestos did not cause cancer.
Two other defendants in the case, Riverside Cement and CalPortland, also employed the use of expert witnesses to attest that the amount of asbestos released from their products was inconsequential. Quadrillions of fibers of asbestos, however, were scientifically revealed to be in bags of their construction products.
The jury assigned $18 million in punitive damages to Dow Chemical´s subsidiary Union Carbide for its corporate cover-up of asbestos dangers, even though all defendants were found at fault.
“The jury awarded punitive damages against Union Carbide of $1 million for each year that it continued to supply asbestos after a 1967 internal memo where the company admitted that asbestos caused cancers,” said mesothelioma attorney Langdoc.
For over 30 years, Baron and Budd has been a leader in meaningful mesothelioma litigation. Baron and Budd was also one of the first law firms to fight the asbestos companies and continues to fight today. The firm has a long history of substantial mesothelioma verdicts, including a $11 million verdict in Dallas, TX, $17 million in Philadelphia, $20 million in San Francisco, $55 million verdict in El Paso and many others throughout the nation.
To learn more about the mesothelioma attorneys at Baron and Budd, call 1.866.855.1229 or visit the firm´s dedicated mesothelioma website Mesothelioma News. http://www.mesotheliomanews.com http://baronandbudd.com
ABOUT BARON & BUDD, P.C.
The national mesothelioma law firm of Baron & Budd, P.C. has been “Protecting What´s Right” for asbestos sufferers and their families for nearly 40 years. As one of the first law firms to successfully litigate an asbestos lawsuit, Baron & Budd continues to actively represent veterans, industry workers and others who are suffering as a result of exposure to asbestos. Contact Baron and Budd at 1.866.855.1229 for additional information on mesothelioma treatments, mesothelioma cancer doctors and treatment centers and mesothelioma attorneys. http://www.mesotheliomanews.com
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2012/10/prweb10010501.htm