Quantcast

Restoration Local Offers Tips On Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

February 10, 2013

Water damage and flooding can have a number of aftereffects, including carbon monoxide dangers. A water restoration professional offers tips on avoiding this problem.

Cleveland OH (PRWEB) February 10, 2013

Restoration Local, one of the leading providers of water restoration and repair in the United States, is offering tips to property owners on the prevention of carbon monoxide poisoning following water damage events. Flooding and other related damage often means power outages, which means homeowners end up using portable generators or damaged HVAC systems, both of which may cause serious problems.

Damaged heating and air systems should not be turned back on until they have been inspected, repaired, and approved by a qualified HVAC technician. Failure to heed this warning may result in carbon monoxide gas being spread throughout the home.

Portable generators are another culprit, especially when they are placed at the wrong location, such as within a home, or even near open windows, doors, or vents“¦basically any area where the carbon monoxide gas would be able to access the interior of the property. Generators should be placed as far away from buildings as possible.

About a thousand people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, and another 64% of non fatal exposures occur in the home. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is able to overcome its victims before they are aware of what is happening.

Children are especially susceptible to the effects of carbon monoxide. Because their respiratory systems are smaller than an adult´s, it doesn´t take as much for the gas to have an effect. Children or family members who experience any sort of dizziness, nausea, headache, chest pain, or confusion should be taken outside to a well ventilated area, and seek immediate medical treatment.

Homes should also have carbon monoxide detectors installed. These are available at most hardware outlets, and should be placed strategically throughout the home. They should be near the ceiling, since carbon monoxide is lighter than air, and near sleeping quarters so that the alarm will be sure to wake sleeping family members.

Based in Cleveland OH, Restoration Local is one of the leading providers of water damage restoration and mold remediation service in the country, with contractors in 30 states. They are available 24/7 and all work is guaranteed.

For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2013/2/prweb10412454.htm


Source: prweb



comments powered by Disqus