Quantcast

Mesothelioma Law Firm Baron and Budd Reports that Asbestos Exposure Continue Today

April 13, 2013

US Surgeon General Warns Asbestos More Potent When Disturbed: Students at School Under Renovation Suffering Respiratory Issues

DALLAS (PRWEB) April 13, 2013

When Surgeon General Regina Benjamin issued a public statement on April 1 alerting Americans to the health risks of all forms of asbestos at any level of exposure, she dedicated two paragraphs to the special hazards associated with disturbing latent asbestos: “Anyone who disturbs asbestos is at risk,” she warned. Disturbing latent asbestos can release billions of invisible fibers into the air, where they can be ingested. (http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/news/2013/04/pr20130401.html)

Asbestos disturbance can occur during demolitions and renovation projects, such as the $6 million construction project underway since last August at East Bank Middle School in Kanawha Country, WV. Inspectors have located several areas in the 1960s infrastructure since October that tested positive for asbestos. Kanawha Facilities Director Chuck Wilson is quick to emphasize that all the demolitions took place when students were away on holiday or during weekends. (http://www.wowktv.com/story/21914577/parents-express-worry-over-asbestos-at-east-bank-middle-school).

Asthmatic six-grader Ivy Davis, however, is struggling harder to breathe as the project continues. Ivy explained on camera that she was very nervous about coming back after Spring break: “When I get in there,” she said, “I notice I can´t breathe that well and I start coughing a lot where the dust has been stirred. Her wheezing has worsened, too.

East Bank students were scheduled to return Tuesday, April 9, after Spring Break as parents voiced louder concerns.

In fact the half-century-old infrastructure was stripped to its pipes and wiring in order to complete the project´s goals by August 2013: foremost is installation of a new HVAC air conditioning and heating system which Wilson says the school has been without for 3-4 years. Other updates include modernizing ceilings, rooftops, ductwork, and floor tiling– all of which “required demolition in numerous parts of the building,” said Wilson. “It’s not been done while any kids are in school and it’s been glove-bagged, and we’re really heavily regulated on how this occurs,” he said. But Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) official literature states: “During renovation and removal activities, risks from exposure are greatly increased” (http://www.epa.state.il.us/small-business/asbestos-in-home/).

Another sample from the boiler room was sent for analysis Monday, which takes 24 hours to process. Wilson stated optimism that the samples would test negative, adding he believes no harm will come to students because of the air, since certified professionals have properly scrubbed all the trouble spots. Parents wonder why their children would be allowed to approach the building before test results were confirmed.

Recognized mesothelioma law firm Baron and Budd´s president and managing shareholder Russell Budd says, “We defend mesothelioma sufferers 24/7. I am deeply disturbed that school children should be allowed anywhere near the handling and disposal of asbestos-containing material.”

About Baron and Budd

Baron and Budd´s attorneys have championed mesothelioma sufferers for 35 years, achieving some of the largest victories on record including a $48 million verdict for a California mesothelioma patient and his family last year against Union Carbide, a subsidiary of Dow Chemical (Bobbie Izell, et al. v. Union Carbide Corp., et al., Los Angeles County, Case No. 4674). It was the largest of its kind in 2012 and recognized among the National Law Journal´s “Top 100 Verdicts.”

Baron and Budd is a repeat platinum sponsor of the anti-asbestos advocate group ADAO (Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization) whose weeklong observance of Global Asbestos Awareness Week (April 1-7) utilized a singularly powerful platform to blanket the world with one message: No form of asbestos is safe at any level of exposure. The firm opened its doors in 1977 to help fight the battles of those injured from exposure. The firm is a staunch ADAO ally; together they are calling for the US to stop importing asbestos from Brazil and join a worldwide asbestos ban. To date 55 nations have signed the ban including all European Union members– but the US has not. Call 866.855.1229 (day or night) or visit: http://baronandbudd.com/areas-of-practice/mesothelioma-attorney/.

For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2013/4/prweb10622590.htm


Source: prweb



comments powered by Disqus