May 22, 2014
How To Properly Display The American Flag
There can be confusion and questions about how to properly wear and display the American flag, especially around the summer holidays of Memorial Day and July 4th when many people want to display a flag.
- The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water or merchandise.
- The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free.
- No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform.
- The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying or delivering anything.
- The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
- The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat.
Read more rules and regulations that govern flag display (PDF).
Read this post in Spanish.