Chinese Quake Death Toll Raised to 25
Chinese authorities Sunday raised the death toll from this weekend’s Sichuan earthquake to 25 as hundreds of aftershocks continued to rattle the region.
The number of injured was also increased to 192 while three others were listed as missing as a result of Saturday’s magnitude 6.1 temblor, the state-run Chinese news agency Xinhua reported.
The China Earthquake Administration said the epicenter was 30 miles southeast of Panzhihua City, hitting the provinces of Sichuan and Yunnan the hardest. Both are on the southern end of the fault line of the devastating May 12 quake that left more than 69,000 people dead.
Xinhua said the areas most affected by the quake were Panzhihua and Huili of Liangshan, both in Sichuan, and Yi Autonomous Prefecture of Chuxiong, Bai Autonomous Prefecture of Dali and Zhaotong City, all in Yunnan Province.
In addition, Kunming, the Yunnan capital, was also affected.
Officials said more than 300 aftershocks had been monitored in the quake zone as of 5 a.m. local time Sunday. Yi Autonomous Prefecture of Chuxiong was the most affected, with five deaths and economic losses placed at $73 million.