Spring is Here and It’s Time to Check if Your Playground is Safe
Each year more than 200,000 children are taken to the emergency room as a result of an accident or fall on the playground. Nearly 70 percent of these injuries are the result of falls, rather than equipment-related. International Mulch Company, the makers of Rubberific Mulch, are providing tips to parents to keep kids happy and healthy while at play. A parent’s guide to playground safety can also be downloaded at our Facebook page by visiting http://www.facebook.com/rubbermulch.
Saint Louis, MO (PRWEB) March 22, 2011
Each year more than 200,000 children are taken to the emergency room as a result of an accident or fall on the playground. International Mulch Company, the makers of the safest playground surfacing available have been protecting children for more than a decade, and today announced some helpful tips and hints for parents to keep kids safe while at play during the spring and summer months.
For all of us with little ones, we yearn for the days when we can walk to the local playground, get some exercise and enjoy our time with family. Our children’s safety is paramount to us, and as time moves on more and more requirements are placed on how they play as opposed to how we played. Thirty years ago there were no bike helmets, seat belts were optional, there were no car seats and padding was not made for any and every conceivable play option before us. Time and statistics have shown us that we need to be more diligent as to how our children play and how we view safety.
Nearly 70 percent of playground injuries are the result of falls, rather than equipment-related. In addition, recent studies have indicated that approximately 80 percent of all playgrounds have unsafe surfacing or ground cover and only 9 percent of home playgrounds have the proper surfacing.
“Installing a proper groundcover is an important step and precaution that parents and caregivers should take to ensure children’s playground safety ““ it has to do more than just look good, it must be safe,” says Mike Miller, IMC president. “By doing something as simple as replacing gravel or wood chips with rubber mulch products like Rubberific Mulch, NuPlay, or Re-Play we could help prevent or reduce the severity of injuries for thousands of children each year.”
The numbers tell the truth ““ there is no safer playground surface than loose-fill rubber mulch.
Here are the fall height ratings for the most commonly used groundcovers. The fall height should be greater than the highest piece of equipment on the playground.
- Asphalt ““ 0 feet
- Concrete ““ 0 feet
- Bare ground ““ 0 feet
- Sand ““ 5 feet
- Gravel ““ 6 feet
- Engineered wood fiber ““ 6 feet
- Wood chips ““ 7 feet
- Rubber mulch ““ 16+ feet
“As the statistics show, rubber mulch offers twice the fall height rating of its closest competitor. In addition to its outstanding rating, there are also fewer bruises, scrapes and cuts when rubber mulch is the surface as there are no sharp edges and rubber mulch will not compact over time lessening its safety rating” concluded Miller.
In addition to installing recycled rubber as your ground cover of choice for safety, here are a few additional tips for playground safety:
- When you first get to a playground look down first and then up. If you do not feel that the surface is safe, the material is old or compacted, it may be best to find another area to play.
- Taking a child to a playground should be seen as active, for both the child and the adult. Some parents like to spend the time reading a book or sitting on a bench, but as we know, many children channel their inner daredevil when they reach the play equipment. Forty percent of all playground injuries are the result of a lack of supervision.
- Find age appropriate equipment for your child to play on. Less than ten percent of playgrounds have signs noting the recommended age for play. If you think it may be dangerous, it probably will be for your child.
- Remove hood and neck drawstrings from all children’s outerwear. Never allow children to wear helmets, necklaces, purses, scarves or clothing with drawstrings while on playgrounds as it increases the risk of strangulation.
- Report any playground safety hazards to the organization responsible for the site.
- Find a park that offers the little ones some shade as children can become dehydrated very quickly as the temperature rises.
A parent’s guide to playground safety can also be downloaded at our Facebook page.
International Mulch CompanyÃ¢“¢ (IMC) is a family-owned and operated business with its corporate headquarters located in St. Louis, Missouri and production facilities in Ohio, Illinois and Missouri. They manufacture long-lasting landscaping and playground products made from 100 percent recycled rubber tires. Their forward-thinking vision has cultivated products that save consumers time and money while protecting the environment and beautifying homes, gardens, playgrounds and businesses nationwide. For more information about IMC’s full suite of products, please visit http://www.internationalmulch.com or http://www.facebook.com/rubbermulch.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2011/03/prweb5171804.htm