Quantcast

New York transit signs $212 million security deal

August 23, 2005

NEW YORK (Reuters) – New York’s subway and bus operator
said on Tuesday it awarded a $212 million contract for
surveillance cameras, motion detectors and other equipment to
detect potential attacks against its stations, bridges and
tunnels.

Defense contractor Lockheed Martin will lead a team of
companies in a deal struck with North America’s largest
transportation network just one month after bombers attacked
the London transit system on July 7, killing 52 people.

The $212 million will be the first major piece of a $591
million security plan approved in 2002. Before the Lockheed
deal, only $42 million had been earmarked.

Lockheed will install 1,000 cameras and 3,000 sensors under
the three-year deal that aims to eventually allow the New York
Metropolitan Transportation Authority to stop attacks before
they happen by spotting unattended packages that may contain
bombs and alerting its employees to unauthorized intruders in
its tunnels and other sensitive areas.

“We hope (this) will detect the terrorists before an
incident happens, not just be able to report for forensic
purposes after an incident happens and identify who the
terrorist is,” MTA Executive Director Katherine Lapp said at a
news conference.

While none of the technology the transit authority will set
up around New York is new, it will be the largest installation
project of such equipment, said Lockheed executive Judy Marks.

The new system will not detect biological agents or
explosives, Lapp said, but the MTA is testing sensors for those
potential threats and will add them to the Lockheed system when
ready.




comments powered by Disqus