Bomb attack kills Canadian civilian
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (Reuters) – At least three people
died in an attack on a convoy of Canadian troops in the heart
of the southern Afghan city of Kandahar on Sunday.
Afghan doctors said two Afghans were killed in the attack.
Canada’s Prime Minister Paul Martin, speaking at the start of
an election campaign trip to Laval, Quebec, said one Canadian
had been killed and three injured.
Lieutenant-Colonel Jerry O’Hara, a spokesman based in Kabul
with the U.S.-led coalition force, said the explosion was
caused by a roadside bomb, but police said it was a suicide
attack and witnesses described how a Toyota saloon rammed into
a Canadian vehicle at a crossroads.
Doctor Abdul Qaoum, at Kandahar’s main hospital, said at
least two civilians were killed and nine others wounded.
Taliban spokesman Qari Mohammad Yusuf claimed
“This attack is part of our jihad and we plan to carry out
more such attacks,” Yusuf told Reuters by satellite telephone
from an undisclosed location.
Foreign troops cordoned off the site.
Taliban fighters have launched several suicide attacks,
mainly targeting U.S.-led troops and NATO peacekeepers during
the past few months, but they have not caused major casualties.
Martin gave no details on the Canadian victims, noting that
the families had not yet been informed. He said Canadian
participation in the Kandahar mission was essential to help
bring peace to Afghanistan.