Quantcast

UK police hold man over suspected London bomb plot

January 17, 2006

LONDON (Reuters) – British anti-terrorist detectives
arrested a 27-year-old man on Tuesday as part of their
investigation into a suspected attempt to bomb London’s
transport system last July 21, police said.

Officers detained the man in Kensington, west London “on
suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts
of terrorism” relating to last year’s alleged plot.

Searches were also being carried out at two houses in west
London and one business address, police said in a statement.

Police say four men tried to set off bombs on three
underground trains and a bus in the capital on July 21, but
that their devices failed to detonate. A fifth man is accused
of dumping an explosive device in a park.

The incidents came just two weeks after four British
Islamists killed themselves and 52 commuters in bomb attacks on
London’s transport system.

The man arrested on Tuesday was not thought to be involved
in planning the alleged attacks, a police source told Reuters,
but might have played a role after the event.

The suspect has been taken to a central London police
station for questioning.

Five men have appeared in court accused of planning to
carry out attacks on July 21 and are due to be tried in
September. Numerous others have been charged in connection with
the case.

Investigations into the events of last July are the biggest
ever carried out by London police.


Source: reuters



comments powered by Disqus