February 8, 2006
ABC anchor wounded in Iraq still under sedation
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Doctors are keeping ABC News anchor
Bob Woodruff sedated 10 days after he was wounded by a roadside
bomb in Iraq but he is making progress in his recovery, ABC
said on Wednesday.
Woodruff and cameraman Doug Vogt were hit by a bomb while
traveling with a mixed unit of Iraqi and U.S. military vehicles
on January 29 north of Baghdad. Vogt was less seriously wounded
and ABC said he was moved to an outpatient facility on Tuesday.
Westin said in a message to ABC staff that was made available
to the media.
"The doctors are keeping him sedated for now to help with
the healing of his various injuries. They do adjust the levels
of his sedation from time to time, and they have been pleased
with how he responds even with somewhat lowered sedation."
Both men were transferred to the United States last week
with injuries to the chest, neck, face and head. Woodruff
suffered head injuries that caused swelling and pressure on the
brain, his brother said last week.
"This remains a long process," Westin said in the
Woodruff had recently been named co-anchor with Elizabeth
Vargas to replace the late Peter Jennings on World News
ABC is a unit of Walt Disney Co.