Two suicide bombings in north Sinai
CAIRO (Reuters) – Two men blew themselves up in Egypt’s
north Sinai on Wednesday, one near an airport used by an
international observer force, security sources said.
A spokesman for the Multinational Force and Observers
(MFO), Normand St. Pierre, said the first bomber appeared to
target MFO vehicles but there were no MFO injuries. Egyptian
security sources had earlier said two MFO members had been
The second man blew himself up next to a police car outside
a police station in Sheikh Zuwayed, near the northern coast
town of El Arish. The car was empty and there were no other
casualties, the security sources said.
On Monday, three bombs in the resort of Dahab on the east
coast of Sinai killed 18 people and injured scores.
The Dahab explosions resembled other attacks attributed to
a Sinai-based group which has carried out bomb attacks in two
other resorts on the east coast after the last two years.
The same group is thought to have carried out a bombing
that damaged a multinational observer force vehicle in Sinai
last August, slightly injuring two female Canadians.
The first suicide bombing on Wednesday was near the MFO
camp at El Gorah, about 22 miles from El Arish, close to the
site of the attack in August.