Quantcast

One caught, one sought after 7 slain in Indiana

June 2, 2006

CHICAGO (Reuters) – Police caught one suspect on Friday and
sought at least one other in the slayings of seven members of
one family, including three young boys, in an Indiana robbery
that turned violent.

The shootings on Thursday inside an Indianapolis home began
as a robbery by men armed with at least one rifle or assault
weapon, police said.

One unidentified suspect was captured in the ensuing
manhunt and being questioned, police said, but at least one
other, Desmond Turner, 28, was at large.

What local media described as the worst mass murder in the
midwestern U.S. city in 25 years began as 22-year-old Flora
Albarran went to the house to pick up her son Luis, 5, but was
brought inside and could be heard shouting, witnesses told
police.

Police arrived to find Albarran, Luis and five others
slain, with the attackers gone. Luis and two brothers aged 9
and 11 were dead in a bedroom, and the bodies of Luis’ uncle,
grandmother and her husband were discovered elsewhere in the
two-story home.

Turner, 28, of Indianapolis, had been paroled after two
years of a six-year prison sentence and had convictions for gun
possession and other crimes, police said.

“We believe his motive was robbery,” police spokesman Sgt.
Matthew Mount said. “At some point, he decided to shoot
everybody in the house.”

Turner may have known the family, police said.

Police Chief Michael Spears said the murders had “shocked
the police department and shocked the city.”


Source: reuters



comments powered by Disqus