August 28, 2006

Three die in new attack on Turkish tourist areas

By Thomas Grove

ANTALYA, Turkey (Reuters) - A bomb blast killed three
people and wounded dozens in the coastal city Antalya on Monday
in a second day of attacks on Turkish tourist resorts
apparently designed to scare off foreigners and hit the

Bombs on Sunday in Turkey's largest city Istanbul and the
coastal resort of Marmaris wounded 27 people, and a Kurdish
guerrilla group linked to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party
(PKK) said on Monday it carried out those attacks.

"Nothing in Turkey will be as it was before," the shadowy
Kurdistan Liberation Hawks (TAK) said on its Web site.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Monday's
attack in Antalya, a Mediterranean tourist hub.

Local people are concerned Turkey's $18 billion tourist
industry, a powerful motor of the economy, may be further
damaged by the attacks, the latest in a string of bombings in
the past year. Security was stepped up in resort areas.

Witnesses told Reuters they heard a loud bang which broke
windows, sent shrapnel flying into people and sparked a fire at
a shopping area in the heart of the city.

"I saw two wounded tourists and the burned body of a dead
man, a pastry vendor," said holidaying journalist Riza Ozel.

Officials at three hospitals contacted by Reuters said they
had received a total of 38 wounded people. Russia's Vice Consul
in Antalya, Sergey Koritsky, told Reuters the wounded included
a German, a Jordanian, two Iranians, four Israelis and a

"There was a fire and a lot of cars ... (and) a lot of
motorbikes were damaged," he said.

The Antalya blast occurred less than 24 hours after three
bombs in Marmaris wounded 21 people within 15 minutes and a
device in Istanbul wounded six people.

In the major port city of Izmir on Monday police detained a
PKK suspect over a planned an attack there and seized plastic
explosives, the state agency Anatolian reported.


Television images from Antalya showed damaged shops,
mangled bicycles on the street, crowds gathering and men
carrying wounded people.

In Marmaris, 10 Britons and six Turks were wounded when a
bomb exploded under a seat in a minibus in a street crowded
with bars and restaurants around midnight.

"Who did this? What do they want from these people?"
Suzanne Bedford, whose two grandchildren were being treated at
the Ahu Hetman hospital in Marmaris, asked an official.

Officials pledged to find the culprits, suspected of
belonging to the PKK rebel group, which has waged a more than
20-year campaign to carve out a homeland in Turkey's mainly
Kurdish southeast.

General Yasar Buyukanit, who took over as chief of general
staff at a ceremony on Monday, said separatist terrorism would
be defeated. The army is stepping up attacks on the PKK and the
rebel group has offered a conditional ceasefire.

There was muted impact on Turkish financial markets, but
one Marmaris hotel owner said cancellations had started to flow

Antalya photographic shop owner Mesut Isik was pessimistic.
"The tourists have already been few this season and from now on
none will come. Shops have no option but to close," he said.

German tourism firm Thomas Cook said clients who had booked
a trip to Turkey could change their reservations free of

Antalya and Marmaris are popular with European and Russian
tourists as well as Turks. Millions of foreigners flock to the
long Turkish coastline each summer.

"I condemn this wave of barbaric and cowardly attacks which
occurred in the past 24 hours in Turkey," European Union
Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn said in a statement. Turkey
is seeking EU membership.

Kurdish separatists, leftists and Islamic militants have
carried out bomb attacks in Turkey in the past.

The PKK launched a separatist campaign in 1984 and Ankara
blames it for the death of more than 30,000 people. The United
States, the EU and Turkey consider it a terrorist organization.

(Additional reporting by Selcuk Gokoluk and Osman Senkul in
Ankara, Emma Ross-Thomas and Daren Butler in Istanbul,
Marie-Louise Moller in Frankfurt and Dale Hudson in Brussels)