General News Archive - June 22, 2003
The Federal Reserve is prepared this week to drop a key interest rate to its lowest level since President Eisenhower's second term. The central bank would be aiming to stave off an economic threat absent since the Great Depression - deflation, a prolonged and widespread decline in prices.
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.