General News Archive - November 07, 2008
As the economy falters and food prices rise seemingly as fast as the unemployment rolls, the face of hunger is evolving.
A hurricane warning was posted Friday for the Cayman Islands as Hurricane Paloma strengthened and moved northward in the Caribbean. The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said Paloma was a Category 1 storm with sustained winds of 80 mph at 4 a.m.
Female models have had a negative impact on how women view their own bodies, but male models have an opposite effect on men, U.S. researchers said. Jennifer Aubrey of the University of Missouri looked at the effect of male magazines on college-age men.
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.