General News Archive - November 16, 2012
Frito-Lay, maker of the iconic and American favorite announced yesterday that they’d be rolling out a new line of Cracker Jacks called “Cracker Jack’d.” New flavors include Cheddar BBQ, Salted Caramel, Spicy Pizzeria, Cocoa Java and Vanilla Mocha.
Word of the Day
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.
According to the OED, from the 16th century, this word is 'almost exclusively Scots and northern dialect until adopted in general literary use in the 19th.'