KORT Physical Therapy Launches New Android Stretching App
KORT Physical Therapy Launches New Android Stretching App and October is National Physical Therapy month and to celebrate, all KORT Physical Therapy locations are providing a complimentary stretching demonstration, free theraband, and an instructional flyer to help everyone loosen up those muscles and joints and prevent injury.
Lexington, Kentucky (PRWEB) October 05, 2011
October is National Physical Therapy month and to celebrate, all KORT locations are providing a complimentary stretching demonstration, free theraband, and an instructional flyer to help everyone loosen up those muscles and joints and prevent injury. In addition, KORT has launched a new iPhone and Android app, KORT Simple Stretches for Flexibility and Mobility, available for free download through a link on http://www.kort.com This app is a series of 33 stretches from the neck and back to legs and ankles.
Ã¢Å“Stretching should be part of everyoneÃ¢s daily routine,Ã¢ said KORT Physical Therapist Chris Kaczmarek. Ã¢Å“In the interest of time, we often neglect to stretch at the end of an exercise routine, but as we age, our muscle flexibility and range of motion in the joints begin to decline and stretching becomes ever more important.Ã¢ Everyone, regardless of age and flexibility, can learn an effective stretching program to help make daily tasks, activities, and exercise easier.
Benefits of stretching muscles and joints:
- Reduced muscle tension and tightness leading to better flexibility
- Increased range of motion
- Enhanced muscle coordination
- Increased circulation of the blood to various parts of the body
- Increased energy levels
- Relief from pain
- Stress Relief
- Improved posture
- Decrease potential risk of injury
Kaczmarek offers these simple safety tips for stretching:
- Warm up first Ã¢“ stretching is not a warm up. You should do a low impact aerobic exercise such as walking for 5-10 minutes before stretching. It is never a good idea to stretch a Ã¢Å“coldÃ¢ muscle.
- Hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds. Gains in flexibility are dependent on the duration of stretching position and research has shown the best stretch-hold position is 30 seconds.
- Focus on major muscle groups such as thighs, low back, shoulders and neck
- Use slow gentle motions
- Don’t Bounce — bouncing while stretching can create small tears in the muscles which when healed make the muscle tighter and less flexible
- Stretching should be pain-free Ã¢“ the goal is to loosen the muscles and joints, overstretching leads to injury
- Relax and maintain your breathing
- Stretch both before and after exercising
Kaczmarek says that there are times to avoid stretching such as following a muscle strain or ligament sprain, after a recent fracture, and when joints or muscles are infected, inflamed or hurt.
Stretching is important for people of all ages. Ã¢Å“The greater range of motion it allows us to achieve letÃ¢s our limbs and joints move further before an injury occurs.Ã¢ You can achieve the positive benefits of stretching with just 10 minutes of stretching per day 4 days per week. Kaczmarek recommends that you visit any KORT location with questions on stretching or when you experience any muscle or joint pain.
Ã¢Å“As the largest outpatient provider of physical therapy services in the state, we feel a responsibility to the health and well-being of those in the communities we serve. Our goal has always been to be a reliable and knowledgeable healthcare resource. Physical therapy can help improve the overall quality of life by improving muscle and joint pain and keeping them from interfering with normal activi¬ties,Ã¢ said Kaczmarek.
Locally managed and operated, Kentucky Orthopedic Rehab Team (KORT) is Kentucky’s premier provider of outpatient physical and occupational therapy services specializing in orthopedics, sports and industrial medicine. Since 1987, KORT has provided clinical and customer service excellence to patients in KORT clinics, at employer sites, and with high school, college, and professional sports teams. With more than 20 years experience in the Physical Therapy Industry, KORT operates over 35 clinics throughout Kentucky and Southern Indiana, with more board-certified specialists than any other physical therapy provider in Kentucky. For more information visit http://www.kort.com
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prwebKORTPhysicalTherapy/AndroidStretchingApp/prweb8845947.htm