Philips MicroDose Next Generation Mammography Solution Gains Traction with First North American Customers, Enabling Excellent Image Quality at a Low Radiation Dose
CHICAGO, Nov. 29, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Royal Philips Electronics (AEX: PHI, NYSE: PHG) today announced installations of MicroDose, its new full-field digital mammography (FFDM) solution, at four customer sites in North America, bringing clinicians uncompromised image quality at a low radiation dose. The system is on display at the 97th annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), November 27 – December 2.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/philips-microdose-next-generation-mammography-solution-gains-traction-with-first-north-american-customers-enabling-excellent-image-quality-at-a-low-radiation-dose-134620073.html
Mammography is the primary tool used to aid in the early detection and diagnosis of breast cancer, and Philips MicroDose has revolutionized the process by offering a more comfortable, relaxed and faster experience for patients, while allowing clinicians to reduce radiation dose by up to 50 percent compared with other FFDM systems.(1, 2) Philips’ patient-focused approach to innovation aims to not only advance technology that improves clinical effectiveness, but also to improve patient safety.
“Now with MicroDose installations at four North American women’s health facilities, it has been gratifying to get some feedback from administrators, clinicians and patients about their experiences,” said Pam Benkert, general manager, Women’s Healthcare, for Philips Healthcare. “Clearly, the rapid adoption of this solution demonstrates the need for high-quality, low-dose imaging solutions, particularly for centers aiming to provide the best possible experience and outcomes for patients.”
To date, Philips has confirmed MicroDose installations at the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Fla.; Monument Radiology in Richmond, Va.; United Medical Center in Washington, DC; and Woman’s Breast Center in Santa Monica, Calif.
- The new International Imaging Center at the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa features MicroDose. The device’s revolutionary photon-counting technology, its low radiation dose offering and its scalability options helped administrators make the decision to bring MicroDose to this innovative, cutting-edge center.
- MicroDose is the first FFDM system at Monument Radiology in Richmond. The system’s reduced radiation dose and short scanning time help give women who visit this center the most thorough, convenient experience possible.
- United Medical Center, a not-for-profit hospital corporation in Washington, DC will use the MicroDose system to allow its patients to get the potential benefits of low radiation exposure.
- MicroDose is also the first FFDM system for Dr. Lawrence Resnick at the Woman’s Breast Center in Santa Monica. The solution’s reduced radiation dose offering helps to position Dr. Resnick and his Center as one of the most innovative in the area.
“Our hospital is committed to providing the highest quality care to our patients and MicroDose allows us to do just that,” said Dr. Raymond Tu, chairman of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology at United Medical Center. “The solution is also convenient–patient scanning time is reduced to less than five minutes, allowing us to see more patients each day and decreasing the amount of time patients have to spend at appointments.”
Philips is committed to a comprehensive approach to women’s health care, and MicroDose is part of the company’s comprehensive portfolio of advanced diagnostic imaging and information management solutions for the entire breast cycle of care including ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and positron emission tomography / computed tomography (PET/CT).
Visit Philips at RSNA 2011 in the North Hall at booth number 7721 of the McCormick Place convention center in Chicago, November 27 – December 2. For more information, additional materials and images, please visit the Philips RSNA News Center at http://www.philips.com/RSNA.
About Royal Philips Electronics
Royal Philips Electronics of the Netherlands (NYSE: PHG, AEX: PHI) is a diversified health and well-being company, focused on improving people’s lives through timely innovations. As a world leader in health care, lifestyle and lighting, Philips integrates technologies and design into people-centric solutions, based on fundamental customer insights and the brand promise of “sense and simplicity.” Headquartered in the Netherlands, Philips employs over 120,000 employees with sales and services in more than 100 countries worldwide. With sales of EUR 22.3 billion in 2010, the company is a market leader in cardiac care, acute care and home health care, energy efficient lighting solutions and new lighting applications, as well as lifestyle products for personal well-being and pleasure with strong leadership positions in male shaving and grooming, portable entertainment and oral healthcare. News from Philips is located at www.philips.com/newscenter.
(1) Baldelli P., et. al., Comprehensive Dose Survey Of Breast Screening In Ireland, Radiation Protection Dosimetry, Vol. 145, No. 1, pp. 52-60, 2010
(2) Oduko, J.M. Young, K.C., Burch, A., A Survey of Patient Doses from Digital Mammography Systems in the UK in 2007 to 2009. Digital Mammogr. IWDM 2010, 365-370, 2010