Omnicell Implements G4 Solutions Throughout New Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., April 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Omnicell, Inc. (NASDAQ:OMCL), a leading provider of medication and supply management solutions and analytics software for healthcare facilities, today announced that nationally-ranked Texas Children’s Hospital implemented the comprehensive Omnicell G4 platform in its newly opened 15-story landmark hospital, Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women. After a decade of using Omnicell solutions throughout all campuses, the hospital continued its exclusive relationship with Omnicell and expanded medication and supply management solutions into comprehensive OB/GYN care.
Texas Children’s Hospital implemented the new Omnicell G4 technology platform throughout the $575-million state-of-the-art Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women, which opened on March 26, 2012. Designed for ease of integration with all hospital information systems, the G4 platform integrates with Texas Children’s electronic health record (EHR). Able to seamlessly transfer critical health information with virtually any HIS vendor, Omnicell is the only company offering an automated dispensing system that is Modular EHR certified for Meaningful Use.
“The key to Omnicell technology is that it closes the loop with our other information technology systems. We are redefining how Texas Children’s Hospital uses automation technology by seamlessly exchanging information from our Omnicell solutions to our Epic electronic health record, PeopleSoft business analytics system and VMware back-end technology running the new Windows 7,” said Karen D. Gurwitch, director of pharmacy at Texas Children’s Hospital. “Texas Children’s Hospital has been at the forefront of pharmacy and supply automation since it began its partnership with Omnicell a decade ago. We look forward to using Omnicell’s technology as the Pavilion for Women quickly becomes a premier center for women’s, fetal and newborn health. Our ultimate goal is to ensure patient safety and working with Omnicell we are confident that we meet this goal.”
The Omnicell G4 platform is uniquely positioned to support the fluctuating medication and supply needs of the acute care women’s hospital, which can accommodate 5,000 births annually and specializes in multiple births and high-risk pregnancies. The G4 platform offers a single unified database across the continuum of medications maintained in automated dispensing cabinets, accessed through an intuitive user interface. The single database decreases the risk of human error and saves significant pharmacy time by eliminating the need for repetitive entry of drug formularies and rules in multiple locations.
“Let’s face it: babies have a mind of their own. Scheduled deliveries are rare in an acute care labor and delivery environment, so the inventory system has to be nimble enough to support large volume swings,” said Richard McFee, director of Supply Chain Management at Texas Children’s Hospital. “Omnicell’s supply management system captures what inventory we are using and where in real time. This information lets us respond to changes in care volume and quickly replenish supplies. Omnicell technology also lets us decrease our inventory levels to only what we really need and increase our inventory turns. This saves the hospital money that can be reinvested back into patient care.”
The Texas Children’s Hospital Pavilion for Women implemented various Omnicell G4 platform solutions, including:
- OmniRx® G4 Automated Medication Dispensing Cabinets (ADCs) throughout the nursing floors, including the Medication Label Printer that allows nurses to print patient-specific labels right from the ADC during medication issue. The ADCs also include new Touch & Go(TM) G4 biometric ID system, designed with state-of-the-art biometrics hardware and software to improve efficiency and security.
- Anywhere RN(TM) solution, which allows nurses to review and select medication orders needed from the cabinet remotely to save time and minimize interruptions that could lead to medication administration errors.
- Anesthesia Workstation(TM) G4, an automated dispensing cabinet for the operating room that allows for secure, convenient access to drugs required during surgery and documentation of controlled substances while relieving the anesthesiologist of the tedious task of counting medications.
- Controlled Substance Management (CSM) that uses a shared database between pharmacy, the operating room and nursing cabinets to track and monitor narcotic movement throughout the hospital, which provides true closed-loop tracking for dispensing controlled substances. All controlled substances are received into the central pharmacy and dispensed to the cabinets on the floors, mixing stations or directly to a patient with a label for safety. CSM facilitates dispensing reconciliation and ensures a complete audit trail throughout the medication distribution process.
- OptiFlex(TM), a perpetual inventory management system that accurately tracks costs of operating room supply items and keeps inventory levels to a minimum.
- Flex bin drawer technology allows for single dose dispensing to control narcotics and eliminate nurse count backs to allow nurses to spend more time with patient care.
“We are thrilled to continue to grow our 10-year relationship with Texas Children’s Hospital and offer solutions built to scale,” said Randall A. Lipps, founder, chairman, president & CEO of Omnicell. “I had the honor of visiting the new Pavilion and saw the G4 platform at work. The Pavilion for Women is clearly equipped to quickly be among the nation’s premier centers for women’s, fetal and newborn health.”
Omnicell, Inc. (NASDAQ: OMCL) is a leading provider of automation and business information solutions enabling hospitals and healthcare systems to streamline the medication administration process and manage costly medical supplies for increased operational efficiency and enhanced patient safety. Through seamless integration with a hospital’s existing IT infrastructure, Omnicell solutions empower healthcare facilities to achieve comprehensive automation of medication and supply management from the arrival at the loading dock to the patient’s bedside. Omnicell also provides healthcare facilities with business analytics software designed to improve medication diversion detection and regulatory compliance.
Since 1992, more than 2,500 hospital customers worldwide have relied on Omnicell’s medication automation, supply chain, and hospital analytics solutions to increase patient safety, improve efficiency and address changing healthcare regulations while providing effective control of costs, charge capture for payer reimbursement and inventory management of medications and supplies.
OMCL – G
SOURCE Omnicell, Inc.