Mild Winter Means An Early Start For Allergy Symptoms
OAK BROOK, Ill., April 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — According to the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the 2011-2012 winter is the fourth warmest on record. The mild weather is triggering an unusually early release of pollen that causes pesky allergy symptoms. Beyond the itchy eyes, sneezing and runny nose, one overlooked side effect of allergies is dry or irritated lips. New Blistex Cold & Allergy Lip Soother is especially developed to provide comforting relief and protection for lips feeling under the weather due to allergies.
“Managing allergy symptoms is paramount to get through the season and it starts with the skin as it is the first line of defense,” said Dr. Charles Zugerman, associate professor of clinical dermatology at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. “Dry and cracked lips cause fissures in the skin, leaving them more susceptible to infection. Additionally, by relieving the lip discomfort, allergy sufferers also feel better which in turn helps them rest and recover.”
Battling Dry Lips
More than 50 million adults suffer from allergies and its painful side effects. Dry and chapped lips are caused by a number of factors during allergy season, including open mouth breathing as a result of blocked passageways and the dehydrating effects of medications such as antihistamines.
Zugerman recommends keeping a moisturizing lip balm on-hand, such as Blistex Cold & Allergy Lip Soother, to treat and combat dry lips. A few other ways to alleviate allergy symptoms include:
- Use an air purifier to remove contaminants from the air such as dust, pollen and pet dander.
- Ensure your vacuum has a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter. A vacuum without this filter may make allergies and asthma worse by disturbing and blowing the dust particles in the air.
- Bathe in cool water and use a mild soap without perfume or coloring.
- Wash your laundry in hot water with a temperature of 130 degrees or greater.
- Change your clothing after spending a lot of time outdoors to keep the pollen out of the house.
About Blistex Cold & Allergy Lip Soother
Blistex Cold & Allergy Lip Soother has a special formula that glides on smoothly and feels soft when applied to sore lips to prevent further irritation. The ingredients in Cold & Allergy Lip Soother are ideally suited to comfort lips that are feeling under the weather and include:
- Pramoxine HCL – advanced analgesic that alleviates sensitivity to lip soreness, pain and itchiness, without a medicated flavor and scent.
- Dimethicone – delivers a highly effective barrier that prevents moisture loss and protects lips.
- Glycerin, lanolin and sunflower seed oil – help re-moisturize lips parched from the effects of illness or dry air.
- Vitamins C & E, chamomile, green tea, honey and elderberry – provide comfort to irritated lips.
While Blistex Cold & Allergy Lip Soother was designed to bring comfort when lips are not feeling their best, it serves as a great daily lip balm whenever lips need relief. With an expected retail price of $1.89 – $2.69, Blistex Cold & Allergy Lip Soother is now available at drug stores, supermarkets, and mass merchandisers nationwide.
The Lip Care Specialists at Blistex offer a full, innovative and differentiated product line – with highly effective formulas, unique added benefits and unparalleled sensory experiences – to address a broad spectrum of lip needs for men and women. For additional information about Blistex products and important lip care tips, visit www.Blistex.com.
 National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Retrieved March 19, 2012, http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/looking-back-winter-2011-2012_2012-03-07
 Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Retrieved June 2, 2011, http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=30