EvergreenHealth Celebrates Nursing Team during National Nurses Week
KIRKLAND, Wash., May 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — In celebration of National Nurses Week, EvergreenHealth recently recognized the exceptional care its nursing teams across the organization provide to enrich the health and well-being of each life they touch with the organization’s annual Nursing Excellence awards. The organization awarded a group of exemplary caregivers during its nursing awards ceremony on May 8, 2012.
“Our nurses are the hands-on embodiment of one of EvergreenHealth’s primary goals - to return our patients to health,” said Nancee Hofmeister, MSN, RN, NE-BC, EvergreenHealth Vice President and Chief Nursing Officer.
This year’s nine Nursing Excellence award recipients were selected from more than 132 individually nominated nurses recognized by their peers. The awards recognize caregivers for their daily dedication to their profession, and also for outstanding care provided to individual patients.
“The exceptional care provided by our nurses is among the many reasons EvergreenHealth has earned its strong reputation for clinical and service excellence. We are so proud of our 40 years of service to the community and owe a deep gratitude to our nursing teams, and each of our exceptional caregivers, for the important work they do to advance our mission to provide breakthrough clinical care,” said Bob Malte, EvergreenHealth CEO.
This year’s recipients include:
- Clinical Care: Jessie Vallasin, RN, Home Health, and Catherine Bellusci, RN, Emergency Department, for excellence in direct patient care delivery in any clinical setting.
- Community Service: Melissa Chasan, RN, Postpartum Care, for significant professional or voluntary contributions to the local community or on a state, national or global scale.
- Education: Celia Harper, RN, clinical nurse educator, Home Health & Hospice, for significant contributions to education, professional development and/or long-term learning for nursing professionals.
- Innovation/Creativity: Cindy Mizell, RN, Clinical Informatics, for innovative and creative contributions that have improved patient care.
- Leadership: Lenore Apigo, RN, clinical nurse manager, Medical & Surgical Department, for demonstrating exceptional leadership in nursing or patient care services in any setting.
- Mentoring: Laura Higgins, RN, Acute Rehabilitation Unit, for providing positive, professional influence, guidance and support of other nurses in any setting.
- Patient Advocacy: John Robertson, RN, Progressive Care Unit, for going beyond the call of duty to advocate for patients.
- Rising Star: Jordan Kamal, RN, resident, Critical Care Unit, who, within the first 18 months of practice, exemplified outstanding caring, leadership and professionalism.
During the award ceremony, the Spiritual Care Department recognized EvergreenHealth nurses and other caregivers with a “Blessing of the Hands” ritual to acknowledge the exceptional and compassionate care given to all patients and their families.
National Nurses Week is celebrated annually from May 6, which marks National Nurses Day, through May 12, the birthday of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing. The 2012 national theme for Nurses Week was “Nurses: Advocating, Leading, Caring.”
The national theme underscores the commitment of all nurses over EvergreenHealth’s 40-year history to provide a full range of healthcare services and programs that are among the most comprehensive in the region.
In fact, HealthGrades, the nation’s leading provider of independent hospital ratings, named EvergreenHealth as a Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence in 2012, making it the only hospital in Washington state to receive the distinction for the past four consecutive years.
EvergreenHealth’s areas of outstanding care include cancer care, orthopedics, primary care, cardiology care and breast health.
To learn more about EvergreenHealth’s exceptional care, visit www.evergreenhealthcare.org or call EvergreenHealth Nurse Navigators and Healthline at 425.899.3000.
EvergreenHealth, a public hospital district and community-based healthcare organization established in 1972, offers a breadth of services and programs that is among the most comprehensive in the region. More than 950 physicians provide clinical excellence within more than 80 specialties, including cardiac, oncology, surgical care, orthopedics, a neuroscience institute, women’s and children’s services, hospice care, pulmonary care, a sleep disorders center and home care services. EvergreenHealth serves more than 400,000 residents in its primary service area of northern King and southern Snohomish counties with EvergreenHealth Primary Care, a network of primary and urgent care practices, and its main hospital campus in Kirkland, Wash. EvergreenHealth also provides emergency care at two sites; its main hospital campus and the EvergreenHealth Redmond Medical Center. In addition to clinical care, EvergreenHealth offers extensive community health outreach and education programs, anchored by EvergreenHealth Nurse Navigators and Healthline, a 24/7 nurse consultation service. For more information, visit www.evergreenhealthcare.org.
Program Manager – Public Relations
Firmani + Associates Inc.